Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Boro beat Brighton to clinch promotion "

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
.....was the headline on BBC Sport yesterday. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but that really pissed me off last night. I'd already listened to Holloway and Beagrie bigging up Boro's magnificent achievement in regrouping after the near miss last season and praising Karanka on a fantastic effort. Hang on...weren't they strong favourites this season after getting 85 points last time and losing in the play-off final. They have improved by FOUR points. No mention that we have limped forward by only FORTY TWO points. Dyche will probably get the award but we all know who the manager of the season is. We all know who have consistently played the best football and we all know who have had to cope with the most adversity. We all know that without our loss of 7 regular first teamers, for weeks and weeks and months, we would have pissed this division. We all know that Boro and Burnley would have slipped back with the same injury levels but they had the good fortune to have reasonably settled squads all season.
....and then..." The Championship....Football League Tonight "....highlights of the game and all the ensuing celebrations. George Friend was generous to Brighton but then finished by saying that he was glad that they got the win!! ( Since when was hanging on against ten men and breathing a huge sigh of relief to draw 1-1...winning a game of football.? The sending-off was discussed and fair play to Curbishley in coming out and saying that Dean got it wrong. But there was no further discussion re the implication of that decision. No mention of momentum curb or how BHA, when down to ten men, still took the game to Boro, who sat deeper and deeper and were clinging to the draw. And then the bookies odds, that now relegate us to 2nd favourites behind Hull ( who, recovering from a loss at Bolton, despatched a moderate Rotherham, who, having secured safety, have now completely switched off ) This, apparently makes Hull the team to beat and Curbishley tipped them to get promoted. Clinton Morrison ( surprise, surprise ) tipped Wednesday. No mention at all of Brighton.
I listened to Wednesday fans ringing in to radio stations yesterday, rubbing their hands at meeting BHA. Wembley is a shoe-in apparently. They are all glad they are not playing Boro.
If yesterday's happening, involving Dean, Ramirez and Stephens had been in a crucial game in the PL, the media would be full of it. There would be hours of analysis and discussion but the Championship is paid lip-service and a shocking and ultimately, massively costly decision goes under the radar.
Yes, this is a rant. I'm getting lots of frustration of my chest. I still feel angry and raw after yesterday and sorry for the players that I feel so proud of. Their mental strength has been amazing and to see them dragging themselves forward in the dying minutes yesterday, despite the adversity and injustice, was no surprise.
I feel sorry for the players that they are not getting the credit they deserve and that they are already being written off in the play-offs but what I do know, is, despite all the ambivalence in the media, they will regroup and won't let us down.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If that's the BBC headline they really need to have a hard think about whether Boro actually won :lolol:

A bit like the Ashley Barnes 3 points for an FA Cup win quote.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Also the more Wednesday fans expressing their glee at meeting us the better.

That sort of thing ALWAYS comes back to bite you.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
And on the news last night that t*s*er of a sports editor said the same thing. What a clueless w**er

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The BBC's Sport Department has gone right downhill in my opinion since the move to Salford, which was done in order to get away from the accusation that the BBC was too "London centric", and to "involve the regions more". How do I know this? A very good friend and colleague was their accountant when they were based at White City. As most of the main presenters didn't want to move they had to get a group of local news presenters to take over and only Dan Walker as far as I know has actually moved up north (Gary Lineker is flown up each week to present Match of the Day). Katie Gornall is quite good - she at least gets out to do reports, but the rest just sit in the studio. They moved the Breakfast programme up there too, and now have to get correspondents to fill in, again because the presenters didn't want to move.

The rest of their coverage has suffered too - I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "different to", and on election night, they missed a very significant result from Scotland, because they were sitting with their guests speculating. "We got caught out, we weren't expecting it", was the response.

Even so, they still knock the rubbish churned out by Channel 5 into a cocked hat, and Sky's Championship coverage really takes the biscuit. A bunch of journeymen who basically got nowhere in their careers as summarisers. Of all of them, only Don Goodman is worth listening to.

To summarise, Mo, I'm as hacked off as you are, and was fuming about Dean on my way back to the station yesterday, just as I was after Derby and their antics. Football is not good for your heart.

Last edited:

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
.....was the headline on BBC Sport yesterday. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but that really pissed me off last night. I'd already listened to Holloway and Beagrie bigging up Boro's magnificent achievement in regrouping after the near miss last season and praising Karanka on a fantastic effort. Hang on...weren't they strong favourites this season after getting 85 points last time and losing in the play-off final. They have improved by FOUR points. No mention that we have limped forward by only FORTY TWO points. Dyche will probably get the award but we all know who the manager of the season is. We all know who have consistently played the best football and we all know who have had to cope with the most adversity. We all know that without our loss of 7 regular first teamers, for weeks and weeks and months, we would have pissed this division. We all know that Boro and Burnley would have slipped back with the same injury levels but they had the good fortune to have reasonably settled squads all season.
....and then..." The Championship....Football League Tonight "....highlights of the game and all the ensuing celebrations. George Friend was generous to Brighton but then finished by saying that he was glad that they got the win!! ( Since when was hanging on against ten men and breathing a huge sigh of relief to draw 1-1...winning a game of football.? The sending-off was discussed and fair play to Curbishley in coming out and saying that Dean got it wrong. But there was no further discussion re the implication of that decision. No mention of momentum curb or how BHA, when down to ten men, still took the game to Boro, who sat deeper and deeper and were clinging to the draw. And then the bookies odds, that now relegate us to 2nd favourites behind Hull ( who, recovering from a loss at Bolton, despatched a moderate Rotherham, who, having secured safety, have now completely switched off ) This, apparently makes Hull the team to beat and Curbishley tipped them to get promoted. Clinton Morrison ( surprise, surprise ) tipped Wednesday. No mention at all of Brighton.
I listened to Wednesday fans ringing in to radio stations yesterday, rubbing their hands at meeting BHA. Wembley is a shoe-in apparently. They are all glad they are not playing Boro.
If yesterday's happening, involving Dean, Ramirez and Stephens had been in a crucial game in the PL, the media would be full of it. There would be hours of analysis and discussion but the Championship is paid lip-service and a shocking and ultimately, massively costly decision goes under the radar.
Yes, this is a rant. I'm getting lots of frustration of my chest. I still feel angry and raw after yesterday and sorry for the players that I feel so proud of. Their mental strength has been amazing and to see them dragging themselves forward in the dying minutes yesterday, despite the adversity and injustice, was no surprise.
I feel sorry for the players that they are not getting the credit they deserve and that they are already being written off in the play-offs but what I do know, is, despite all the ambivalence in the media, they will regroup and won't let us down.
Summed up everything I have been getting frustrated over. I know we have the playoffs, although would have been perfect to get one over the press, so called pundits and clinched outright promotion. Oh how they love the so called big clubs!!!!! That annoys me also. Oh little old brighton ergh.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I heard it announced on the radio or tv that Boro had beaten Brighton.

You have to remember that the media are heavily biased towards northern clubs.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Boro did beat us..to the second automatic promotion spot. Guess we all know what they meant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here