Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appeal

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Sorry if I've missed it, but have the club said they will appeal Dales red card ?
Not that I think we'll be successful as the FA are bound to close ranks but I guess we've got nothing to lose.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Yes, they are.
But like you, I don't have much confidence in the outcome even though it shouldn't have been a red, or even a yellow.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For the FA to uphold our appeal would be to tacitly admit that a refereeing decision was wrong, onw which massively influenced the outcome of the richest game in English football, and they have no desire to open that can of legal worms.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
For the FA to uphold our appeal would be to tacitly admit that a refereeing decision was wrong, onw which massively influenced the outcome of the richest game in English football, and they have no desire to open that can of legal worms.
It's not a legal can of worms as it is impossible to prove that it changed the result.

However, I agree they will close ranks on this one and turn the appeal down.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I really can't see Tony Bloom starting legal action over this... Not that this will change the FAs arse covering approach one iota.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yes, but it is as clear as day that it WAS wrong. It would be North Korean type revisionism to claim otherwise, and for the FA to retain ANY credibility they have to reverse this decision.

And Mike Dean? After a full night's sleep, and time to think more rationally, I still think he is an utter c***.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I hear what you're saying, I'm not sure it influenced the game that much, we never really looked like scoring a second, I thought we actually looked better when we went down to 10 men.
I'm more worried about not having him available for the playoffs, him and Kayal have been the best midfield pairing we've had for years.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I like the idea of opening a can of legal worms though..

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I think the rules state that the referees decision is final which means that he could just disallow an obvious goal if he wanted to. Ok it wouldn't be fair but by the rules of the game it wouldn't count as a goal. Surely this sending off follows the same logic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would take Mike Dean to hold his hand up and say he got it wrong for us to stand any chance of it being overturned. He's not going to do that is he?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I hear what you're saying, I'm not sure it influenced the game that much, we never really looked like scoring a second, I thought we actually looked better when we went down to 10 men.
I'm more worried about not having him available for the playoffs, him and Kayal have been the best midfield pairing we've had for years.

It was three minutes after we scored! Never looked like scoring a second? We were on the up, and Boro were beginning to panic. This decision made a HUGE difference to how the game could have panned out.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Overturn the red card and take a point off Boro for the flares and the pitch invasion before the final whistle, problem solved. No can of worms at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was three minutes after we scored! Never looked like scoring a second? We were on the up, and Boro were beginning to panic. This decision made a HUGE difference to how the game could have panned out.

Exactly, I feel we were CHEATED by the sending off especially as it came so soon after our goal.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well I suppose you're right when you look at it like that.
I bloody hate football sometimes.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We don't, and sadly will never know how it influenced the outcome, but Boro were looking nervy even before we scored, and we looked a lot sharper second half. With 11 on the pitch we would have been able to bring Skalak and Kaz on at some point increasing our attacking options for the last 10 minutes. IMHO the momentum was with us... Until

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'd say reducing a team to ten men straight after they've equalised, have the opposition rattled and still have half an hour to score one goal is a massive influence. Of course we didn't look much like scoring a second. We had ten men. The only chance you have in that scenario normally is from a corner or free-kick where the numbers are effectively evened up by taking a risk. Totally different game without that red card. We'll never know but to claim it made no difference is miles wide of the mark.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We don't, and sadly will never know how it influenced the outcome, but Boro were looking nervy even before we scored, and we looked a lot sharper second half. With 11 on the pitch we would have been able to bring Skalak and Kaz on at some point increasing our attacking options for the last 10 minutes. IMHO the momentum was with us... Until

I'd say reducing a team to ten men straight after they've equalised, have the opposition rattled and still have half an hour to score one goal is a massive influence. Of course we didn't look much like scoring a second. We had ten men. The only chance you have in that scenario normally is from a corner or free-kick where the numbers are effectively evened up by taking a risk. Totally different game without that red card. We'll never know but to claim it made no difference is miles wide of the mark.

You're both correct.
Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that such a poor decision hasn't robbed us of our best chance in years.
I'm starting to think maybe we're destined to never play with the big boys :(

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You're both correct.
Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that such a poor decision hasn't robbed us of our best chance in years.

We'll see when we play Wednesday on Friday and Monday. Will we get a fortuitous decision from the ref?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
User Name

You're both correct.

Me too. I think sadly it has and, even worse, the second part could be right too because it's just going to get harder and harder to bridge that financial gap. That's what makes me so furious about it. Red card like that in a game which might mean, say, Arsenal finish 3rd in the league instead of 2nd (boohoo) - whole f**king world goes mental. Red card in a Championship decider that could determine the entire future of a club, Alan Curbishley gets a bit annoyed (excellent summary from him) and, erm, that'll be it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here