Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we have to play off against a team 15 points behind us?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think the team who finishes third whould play a one off match at home to the team who came 6th.

Just having home advantage in the second leg is not recognition enough of finishing way ahead of them in the league.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That will be the rules that everyone knew at the start of the season. Of course 3 more goals or one more point and we wouldn't need to worry about it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree, it's the same for everyone and we all knew the rules when the season started. We've probably no business complaining now when we were happy to take sneaking into them like we did the last time.

Having said all that, it does indeed feel like a massive injustice when we now have to play two legs against a team we finished FIFTEEN points clear of.

To answer the question directly....It's my belief that the play offs main reason for coming into being was to generate more money. They are then sold to us fans as 'added excitement'.

It's more money that I really could do without spending and more nervous tension that I could certainly do without as well. I'd be quite happy to see them done away with and a return to the top three teams going up.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Before the play-offs, eight defeats and out of the Cup and the season could be over (in meaningful terms) by the end of October. It was disheartening when it occurred season after season.

I prefer two legged matches as there is less of a lottery about them.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
We weren't moaning two years ago. Can't have it both ways.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here