Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Red Card Appeal Rules

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Review the appeal from the Club and determine, based on all available evidence (e.g., video, testimony, etc.):

Did the referee correctly identify the offense in accordance with the Laws of the Game?
Is the disciplinary sanction applied appropriate for the offense?

If the answers to questions 1 and/or 2 are YES, then the appeal is NOT upheld (i.e., unsuccessful) and the Ruling Body will determine whether the appeal was frivolous in line with the definition below:

A frivolous appeal is one that does not contain any objective rational basis. In other words, an appeal is not frivolous if a reasonable observer with knowledge of the Laws of the Game would find that there is a rational basis for arguing that the discipline applied was not appropriate for the offense.

If the answers to questions 1 and 2 are NO, then the appeal will be upheld (i.e., successful).

The decision must be unanimous (including if determining frivolous); where there is any discrepancy on the answer to the first two questions the Ruling Body will review the game tape together and come to a decision. If no unanimity can be achieved then the decision automatically defaults to YES. Remember the Ruling Body is not re-refereeing the game; it is rectifying obvious errors in the referee’s disciplinary decisions. Therefore if it is not OBVIOUS it does not need to be rectified.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/appeal-review-red-card-decision

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Is it true that you can appeal for reduction of suspension rather than complete rescinding... but not both? Seem to remember something like this for the Murphy red earlier in the season where the appeal was not upheld and he served a 3 game ban but there was suggestion that asking for a reduced suspension to one game may have been successful?

Regardless, given the Murphy red was even more ridiculous and that appeal failed I can't see them giving us anything.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Review the appeal from the Club and determine, based on all available evidence (e.g., video, testimony, etc.):

Did the referee correctly identify the offense in accordance with the Laws of the Game?
Is the disciplinary sanction applied appropriate for the offense?

If the answers to questions 1 and/or 2 are YES, then the appeal is NOT upheld (i.e., unsuccessful) and the Ruling Body will determine whether the appeal was frivolous in line with the definition below:

A frivolous appeal is one that does not contain any objective rational basis. In other words, an appeal is not frivolous if a reasonable observer with knowledge of the Laws of the Game would find that there is a rational basis for arguing that the discipline applied was not appropriate for the offense.

If the answers to questions 1 and 2 are NO, then the appeal will be upheld (i.e., successful).

That went right over my head. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When does the appeal have to be in by?
Once we've made the appeal, when does the decision have to be made by?

I'm quite used to seeing players play while they await the result of their appeal.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
When does the appeal have to be in by?
Once we've made the appeal, when does the decision have to be made by?

I'm quite used to seeing players play while they await the result of their appeal.

Appeal has to be within 24 hours. The 3 man commission , who judge it, normally meets on a Thursday.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/rules-of-the-association - The relevant PDF is 'Disciplinary Procedures Section A, B and C: Field Offences...'

Is it true that you can appeal for reduction of suspension rather than complete rescinding... but not both? Seem to remember something like this for the Murphy red earlier in the season where the appeal was not upheld and he served a 3 game ban but there was suggestion that asking for a reduced suspension to one game may have been successful?

That confused me, because that was what was said, but around that same time Arsenal were appealing something and it was said the regulations had changed this year and you could appeal both. I can only assume that it's a change for premier league, but not the football league? The PDF I mention above seems to suggest the reduction of bans is saved for exceptional circumstances, but my eyes were starting to glaze over before I could find anything about whether it was either/or, or you could apply for both.

There was also something recently where a decision was overturned on a majority decision, not a unanimous one (which is different to the MLS, but again, was a premier league decision), which came in for some criticism from journalists, because it was felt there was a case to answer, but I can't remember specifically to which incident it related.

Does the albion present a case with evidence and testimony etc., or do they just say 'we appeal' and leave it at that ?

They provide a written statement of facts and a dvd/video. The panel looks at that and the referee's match report. Neither the ref nor the player or clubs representative is present. (according to the pdf linked above)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is reducing it to 1 game ban an option for the commission or is it 3 game ban or nothing? Reducing it to 1 game would serve more as justice and keep face with the ref

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/rules-of-the-association - The relevant PDF is 'Disciplinary Procedures Section A, B and C: Field Offences...'

That confused me, because that was what was said, but around that same time Arsenal were appealing something and it was said the regulations had changed this year and you could appeal both. I can only assume that it's a change for premier league, but not the football league? The PDF I mention above seems to suggest the reduction of bans is saved for exceptional circumstances, but my eyes were starting to glaze over before I could find anything about whether it was either/or, or you could apply for both.

There was also something recently where a decision was overturned on a majority decision, not a unanimous one (which is different to the MLS, but again, was a premier league decision), which came in for some criticism from journalists, because it was felt there was a case to answer, but I can't remember specifically to which incident it related.

They provide a written statement of facts and a dvd/video. The panel looks at that and the referee's match report. Neither the ref nor the player or clubs representative is present. (according to the pdf linked above)

Your standards are slipping Acker. It's only 27 pages.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I disagree 100% with the red card, but there is- in my opinion- no chance of the old buffers at the FA going against Dean here. They like to be seen to back their officials.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I disagree 100% with the red card, but there is- in my opinion- no chance of the old buffers at the FA going against Dean here. They like to be seen to back their officials.
I agree except there is a slim chance that on viewing the evidence a 3 match ban will be seen to be stupidly harsh.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Shirley if that were the case no appeals would ever succeed ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

If you don't ask you don't get, however I agree it will be fruitless as the FL won't admit to such a mistake in such a big match.

Sort of agree with BG that it would be nice if three game ban was reduced to one or two, again it won't happen but we can always dream.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Never going to happen. I thought Sidwell was fantastic when he came on though!

This has perhaps been overlooked a little in all the furore. I've not always been impressed with Sidwell this season but I was glad to see him coming on yesterday, and I thought he did well with what little time he had. He'll fit in fine, on the assumption that we'll be playing him on Friday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here