Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Play-Off / Manager 'Curse'

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I'm trying not to be too down-beat about today's outcome, and I'm attempting to console myself with the fact that we've still got a very good chance via the play-off route. We're going into it in a very rich vein of form, and Chris Hughton can definitely pick us up from the disappointment of today.

However, I'm still carrying the scars of our last two attempts. It wasn't so much the failure in the play-offs themselves that hurt, but rather the fall-out that followed. The whole Gus affair was just so ugly, and it was compounded by the fact that Oscar then walked after the Derby play-offs the following year. We seem to have adopted a habit of losing our managers in the wake of a failed play-off attempt.
I could certainly take the heart-break of losing out in the lottery of the play-offs for a third time in four years. However, I would be absolutely devastated if we lost Chris as a consequence of our failure to get promotion. I don't actually think he would walk away, but his achievements with us this season have definitely won him some admirers in other clubs.

I'm confident that both the squad and the club as a whole is much better prepared for the play-off scenario this time around, and I really do think that it's our best chance yet. It wouldn't even be that bad to spend another year in the Championship (if we can keep this squad of players together), just so long as we still have Chris at the helm.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It would be refreshing if after a playoff defeat we had a manager who then talked positively about the future rather than ceilings etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here