Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing out on goal difference

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If only we did not concede The 3rd goal at home to Boro.

And any 3 of all the other goals we conceded . . . . leave it . . . this way madness lies . . .

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think it's the sheer closeness and the way we have found ourselves on the wrong side of the dotted line that has me so upset. I can't remember feeling quite so low about a result for some years. Probably on a par with losing to Palace in the playoffs.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think our points tally is linked to the fact that the bottom 3 are so far adrift. In most seasons at least one of them have a chance going into the final game - this year they've been dismal.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
GD has not been required as far back as 2000. Only four teams - Fulham 2001, Burnley 2014 and 2016, and Albion 2016 have lost as few as five games. The other three all achieved auto....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Surely it was the Cardiff game away that done for us ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bolton and Wolves away were the key games for me... 4 points dropped.
2 due to the ref. 2 down to us.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
One of the unluckiest seasons for Brighton in history!

Last time 2nd & 3rd finished level on points - 1993 - West Ham & Pompy.

One team were really unlucky in 1978 - failed to go automatically on goal average - Brighton of course!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need to do what Leicester did, should we fail in the playoffs, and smash the division next season, removing all the ifs and buts.

Dec 29, 2011
Surely it was the Cardiff game away that done for us ?

The funny thing is if we had got a late consolation goal vs Boro to make it 3-1 NSC would still have been super depressed that evening, but not realising that consolation goal would ultimately see us promoted.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I agree there are many what ifs. For me it will be watching Middlesborough's several recent extra time goals and Burnley's late equaliser against us.

It's all a total contrast to three years ago (with Poyet) when we were also quite close. That year if we had beaten Hull in the first game of the season we would potentially have gone up. That year was the opposite to this one - all the points totals at the top were low. We were a close fourth on just 75 points. Cardiff were dominant with 87 points and Hull went up with only 79 points. At the bottom, Peterborough went down with a record high total of 54 points. A good Wolves team were also relegated on 51 points.

If we don't go up 85 points should surely be enough next year...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here