NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with this.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
"and locals have been advised to anonymously report any suspected lawbreakers".

Some things never change.... :)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Add the rent brake as you can see why Berlin is such as great place to be, compared to overrated overpriced London

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:nono:

Huge shame. Hotels are extortionate.

I agree to a point. I see both sides of this argument but the AirBnB thing has got out of hand IMHO. Outsiders (German and non) are now piling into property and letting it out as the rewards are so high. Something had to be done. This will affect the lower end of the accommodation sector....a sector many of my friends use.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I agree to a point. I see both sides of this argument but the AirBnB thing has got out of hand IMHO. Outsiders (German and non) are now piling into property and letting it out as the rewards are so high. Something had to be done. This will affect the lower end of the accommodation sector....a sector many of my friends use.

I totally agree with you, to many people move out of towns and cities these days for pastures new but for some reason rather than recycling their property to the local sales market which increases stock and slows value rise they let their properties out!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The new law (which I fully agree with) applies to whole apartments in residential buildings. There are grey area's with the new law of course. Holiday lets in 'commercial properties' are exempt. Where the owner/leasee is in residence and the renter is in a "Wohngemeinschaft" (renting a room) situation, that's okay too.

AirBnB are supposedly going to the higher courts re this law. What the outcome will be, who knows?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new law (which I fully agree with) applies to whole apartments in residential buildings. There are grey area's with the new law of course. Holiday lets in 'commercial properties' are exempt. Where the owner/leasee is in residence and the renter is in a "Wohngemeinschaft" (renting a room) situation, that's okay too.

AirBnB are supposedly going to the higher courts re this law. What the outcome will be, who knows?

I'd like to know more about how AirBnB intend to challenge this. Do you have any details?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wimdu are going to court in June. October has been mentioned as a potential date for AirBnB elsewhere. Seems odd - I would have thought they may have partaken in a joint action.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/berlin-law-hobbles-airbnb-rental-business/

Thanks. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this challenge. German has plenty of laws protecting the public and seemingly restricting business.... from what you can put in, and call beer, to who can own a football club. My gut feeling is this won't succeed. It's also worth pointing out this law was trialled and tweaked over a 2 year period in Pankow before it was rolled out city wide.

Like you I support this.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Not sure how this would compare, but whilst I had my time in Germany with the RAF in the 1990's, the local town of Elmpt did have a lot of privately owned houses rented out to the Brits serving out there. Obviously there was the property that had been set aside for normal military married quarters off base.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There is, its called income tax. And then capital gains when you sell. It's covered.

You won't pay capital gains tax in the UK if it's your main residence? Income tax lol. No I want to see landlords paying 30% say of their rent into the local authority! There is not enough stock, which forces values to climb, it's all to easy for people to go overseas and retain their properties as secure investments rather than sell them and buy if/when they return. I recon 40% of urban Brighton flats are tenant occupied rather than owned!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
They have, or are planning to have, something similar in Vancouver and Whistler.

As mentioned, property gets taken off the market for long term rents, and is held for short term gains, with subsequent hike in available rents, and indeed sales of property, along with City/Council income from Hotel taxation falling, and Standards/H+S being unmonitored in these properties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here