Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do Or Die Encounters

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
http://www.oddschecker.com/tips/football/20160506-middlesbrough-v-brighton-betting-preview

Man City v Luton in 1983, Liverpool v Arsenal in 1989, Hereford v Brighton in 1997, Sheffield United v Wigan in 2007, Brentford v Doncaster in 2013. For the past week or so, I’ve been racking my brains trying to think of all the do-or-die, winner-takes-all, final day encounters between two direct rivals that have occurred in my lifetime. And they virtually all follow a particular theme.

In each of the above examples, the away team has prevailed, getting the result they needed at the expense of the home team. In each instance, the pressure of carrying such a heavy weight of expectation proved too much for the hosts. And what’s more, the pressure invariably took its toll late on. In the first half, almost nothing happened.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's not a 'do or die' encounter though, is it? Whoever doesn't prevail gets another crack at promotion via the play-offs.
Yes, except NSC has already waved the white flags in front of Sheffield Massive and Derby, so it might as well be :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, except NSC has already waved the white flags in front of Sheffield Massive and Derby, so it might as well be :lolol:

To be honest, I'm quite philosophical about tomorrow. The chances are (and the bookies agree) Middlesbrough will do it. In front of their home fans, and they only need a draw. It may welll be we have to go down the play-off route. We would be the best team in the play-offs and would stand a very decent chance of getting to Wembley and winning. What a fantastic day that would be. So stand or fall tomorrow, we can still make it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest, I'm quite philosophical about tomorrow. The chances are (and the bookies agree) Middlesbrough will do it. In front of their home fans, and they only need a draw. It may welll be we have to go down the play-off route. We would be the best team in the play-offs and would stand a very decent chance of getting to Wembley and winning. What a fantastic day that would be. So stand or fall tomorrow, we can still make it.

I am thinking, that with our record of having only beaten Hull at home, and having drawn all the other games against the other play off contenders that it might come down to how good we are at penalties. I am hoping we are more Germany then England

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"It's up for grabs now!" as Kayal's through ball finds Wilson in the 90th minute........

Of course our job is easier than Arsenal's as they had to win by two at Anfield. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"It's up for grabs now!" as Kayal's through ball finds Wilson in the 90th minute........

Of course our job is easier than Arsenal's as they had to win by two at Anfield. :)

I'd be more comfortable if this could be the 95th minute.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Hard to say we would be the best team in play offs.

How often has third place gone up via play offs?

League position means nothing

That said I have a sneaking feeling we will do it tomorrow.

1-0 down at half time, we win 2-1.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Barnet 2 Torquay 3 2001 to stay in the league,3 of us watched from a kindly neighbours Garden Shed Roof after getting locked out of the Ground.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
die_hard_5_17201.jpg

"Just because the Germans score a few victories doesn't mean they always win in the end."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here