Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] *** 50 Years Ago ****

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
50 years ago on 6 May 1966, I watched Albion v Middlesbro for the first time in a Division 3 game. The match finished 1-1 before 12,692 fans and what was a season with quite a few memorable moments, good (like beating the mighty Aldershot before 29K + fans at the Goldstone) and dreadful (losing at home to Bournemouth) , despite finishing in a lowly position in the third tier (at the time we had only been in the second tier for four seasons in our whole history) and flirting with relegation of the Fourth Divsion. We were just finding our bearings there after getting promoted from the Fourth.

PS: Their were about fifty Boro supporters in the South Stand all wearing suits.

It was also the last time, I took the Steyning train to Hove as the branch line route closed on that same day.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
50 years ago on 6 May 1966, I watched Albion v Middlesbro for the first time in a Division 3 game. The match finished 1-1 before 12,692 fans and what was a season with quite a few memorable moments, good (like beating the mighty Aldershot before 29K + fans at the Goldstone) and dreadful (losing at home to Bournemouth) , despite finishing in a lowly position in the third tier (at the time we had only been in the second tier for four seasons in our whole history) and flirting with relegation of the Fourth Divsion. We were just finding our bearings there after getting promoted from the Fourth.

PS: Their were about fifty Boro supporters in the South Stand all wearing suits.

It was also the last time, I took the Steyning train to Hove as the branch line route closed on that same day.

Correction . Steyning Line closed on 6 March 1966. A book printed the wrong date.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ha! Perseus your memory is going! I can't talk though, my first game was the 1965/66 season as well (about Feb/March '66) and I haven't a clue who it was against. The only reason I remember the year is because I moved to Lancing at Christmas 1965 and went to a match with my new schoolfriends some time after I'd started at South Lancing.

Fifty years! I remember when it was fifty years since the end of World War One; now it's fifty years since the end of Star Trek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here