Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much money is at stake?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I have read varying figures on how much money is at stake on Saturday's game.

Some papers say £200 million, some £170 million and some other amounts.

Is this money for one year or does it include any potential parachute payments? One last question with Burnley getting promoted I presume that they lose out on the two additional years due on parachute payments, in which case what happens to this money?

Obscene amounts really how ever I'm sure that Bloom and Barber wouldn't say no.

Dec 29, 2011
The money quoted includes everything. Parachute payments, TV money, extra ticket and merchandise revenue etc. I think burnley's outstanding PP are split between all league clubs but that may be wrong

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Surely, its a bit like moving house and job from say mid-Wales to central London. Yes you have dramatically more income but the cost of living is also dramatically higher so your chances of making money are neutralised. Or is that too simplistic???

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Surely, its a bit like moving house and job from say mid-Wales to central London. Yes you have dramatically more income but the cost of living is also dramatically higher so your chances of making money are neutralised. Or is that too simplistic???
you would still need to have a budget of income before knowing what you can spend.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Let me add this up.
Boro is costing me £178 so far so expect that to rise to £270
So failure Saturday will cost 1 away game is around £120
1 home game £70 (buy ticket)
trip to Wembley £150
So failure to win would cost me £340

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I have read varying figures on how much money is at stake on Saturday's game.

Some papers say £200 million, some £170 million and some other amounts.

Is this money for one year or does it include any potential parachute payments? One last question with Burnley getting promoted I presume that they lose out on the two additional years due on parachute payments, in which case what happens to this money?

Obscene amounts really how ever I'm sure that Bloom and Barber wouldn't say no.

Depending on a clubs final position:

taken from http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-premier-league-tv-deal-master-and.html

tv payment.png

In addition parachute payments are paid for three years if relegated, but only two years if relegated in first season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's a good analogy. The annual income will increase dramatically if we go up, but Paul Barber will have 25 agents on the phone on Monday morning requesting that their client's wages are trebled.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In this context the only thing that matters is that it will allow the club to run profitably, so Tony won't need to nip to the cashpoint at Preston Circus once a year to withdraw £10m quid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But if we lose this match we get another bite in the play-offs. No more at stake than any other league game I'd say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But, if we do go up Bloom will have got his money back. Smart business move.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Enough to make TB weep if we don't get there.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The money quoted includes everything. Parachute payments, TV money, extra ticket and merchandise revenue etc. I think burnley's outstanding PP are split between all league clubs but that may be wrong

Burnley's outstanding parachute payments are returned to the Premier League and distributed evenly. This means that Palace have made about £2.5 million from it.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
170m I believe.I don't know how they arrive at this figure.I don't know what the Prem pay and when.How the money is staggered and what amounts.I believe also the higher up the league you finish the more you get.These figures that are banded around are vague.

As was said in an earlier post you have more money but your overheads are higher.Having said that I can't see Brighton spending all the extra on new players and wages.

A big plus if we go up is that any ground expansion if even possible won't happen if we stay in the Championship.We'd all like to see a bigger stadium with 40.000.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Depending on a clubs final position:

taken from http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-premier-league-tv-deal-master-and.html

View attachment 74337

In addition parachute payments are paid for three years if relegated, but only two years if relegated in first season.

I think that the money from overseas rights has surpassed expectations. It therefore looks as if the side finishing bottom of the PL next season will receive £99 million.

It's then roughly rises by about £2.2 million per place, although TV exposure also impacts upon the numbers.

The Albion had ticket revenue of £9.8 million last season on average gates of 25,649. Whilst there are more away fans expected if promotion arises, remember PL away tickets are capped at £30 per person. If crowds average 30,000 next season then expect that figure to rise to about £13 million, so not significant compared to the TV money.

In the PL a small club such as Palace only earns only £10 million from gate receipts.

Commercial income at the Albion was £5.6 million, which is second only to Dirty Leeds in our division. Expect a rise, but nothing spectacular, international sponsors want a global brand and lots of TV exposure, and with the best will in the world we cannot provide that to the same extent as United. Liverpool etc.

If we manage to avoid relegation and finish a modest 17th, then total income would be approximately

TV £107 million
Matchday £13 million
Commercial £8 million
Retail & other £7 million

Total £135 million

This compares to less than £24 million last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here