Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to player songs?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. I thought when we signed Zamora we'd get something half-decent - the Seven Nation Army dirge was a disappointment.

2. We've managed to go a whole season and a half and our best player (Kayal) still doesn't have a song.

3. We've now got a factually incorrect, plastic-style Prem "recycled from Spurs which was recycled from West Ham" effort about Knockaert.

4. Our best player song presently consists of 2 words - ole and Bruno.

What happened to the creative spirit that inspired unique Albion numbers like "Oh, Gary Hart", "It's Zamora" and "Who's that Man From Argentina?"

The team songs are fine but there's a problem with the player songs.

Is it that hard to come up with something original and good?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Always easy to criticise those that make the songs, not so easy to come up with something yourself that sticks.

I think what we have got is no better or worse than we have ever had. There has always been one or two songs of the time that get sang more than others, that is the case now. Personally think they are all fine.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
1. I thought when we signed Zamora we'd get something half-decent - the Seven Nation Army dirge was a disappointment.

2. We've managed to go a whole season and a half and our best player (Kayal) still doesn't have a song.

3. We've now got a factually incorrect, plastic-style Prem "recycled from Spurs which was recycled from West Ham" effort about Knockaert.

4. Our best player song presently consists of 2 words - ole and Bruno.

What happened to the creative spirit that inspired unique Albion numbers like "Oh, Gary Hart", "It's Zamora" and "Who's that Man From Argentina?"

The team songs are fine but there's a problem with the player songs.

Is it that hard to come up with something original and good?
To be fair 'Anthony Knockaert' fits perfectly with 'Achy breaky heart', so it would have been almost criminal not to use it, regardless of whether Spurs or West Ham had already used it for a worse fitting name.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I have no idea why the "Is-rae-li Men... Hallelujah!" (to the Weather Girls, it's raining men) has never stuck. Think that would be brilliant whenever BK or TM do something song-worthy.

....and I don't think the issue is about coming up with something good, it's about getting enough people onboard for the first few times its sung that everyone can actually hear it, understand what's being sung and join in next time.

I have said before and will say again.... We should have a "Songs" section to NSC where people can float ideas around and the preferred options be saved and available for people to see/learn/prepare for. Then, when used "in anger" on match days, they should be recorded and posted to youtube. Get the songs known and they will become popular. "Who's that Man?" and "He drinks Sangria" are certainly the only two (good) songs to have caught on in the Amex era so far (Although the 'Achy-Breaky' Knockaert song seems to be gathering pace).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair 'Anthony Knockaert' fits perfectly with 'Achy breaky heart', so it would have been almost criminal not to use it, regardless of whether Spurs or West Ham had already used it for a worse fitting name.

I agree with you totally with the tune, but "only cost 2 mill"? That makes him one of our record signings, not a bargain-basement revelation. And what has Ozil got to do with the Albion?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kayal does have a song, which has been sung occasionally away from home.

Stockdale has a song, as does Calde.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I agree with you totally with the tune, but "only cost 2 mill"? That makes him one of our record signings, not a bargain-basement revelation. And what has Ozil got to do with the Albion?
Indeed, Ozil has no relevance, which is why he'll always be a tongue in cheek comedy 'better the Brazil' for me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Kayal does have a song, which has been sung occasionally away from home.

Stockdale has a song, as does Calde.

I'm in WSU, we sing quite a bit up there and I've never heard any of those in the stands or on the concourse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm in WSU, we sing quite a bit up there and I've never heard any of those in the stands or on the concourse.

That's why my post said away from home. Most songs get birthed away from home because it's easier to hear them and pick up.
I'm in the north stand and have never heard anything from WSU. The acoustics don't work at home.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

A bit trivial I know but when Bobby scored it was a disappointment for me to hear that dirge rolling around the ground instead of "It's Zamora!". He'd come home, he should've heard his uniquely Brighton anthem sung in his praise.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
You need the confidence to belt it out on your own at a game until it catches on. If you're feeling anxious you can ask a trusted friend or parent/guardian to do it with you.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Who's That Man From Argentina was a rip-off from United's song for Tevez so we can hardly claim that as an Albion original.

I think our current collection is fine enough, though I would like one for Stephens.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
I said maybe, he's gonna be the one that saves me. And after all, he's Beram Kayal.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Has there ever been a song put to this? I've always thought there should be.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who's That Man From Argentina was a rip-off from United's song for Tevez so we can hardly claim that as an Albion original.

I think our current collection is fine enough, though I would like one for Stephens.

At least we had an Albion twist to it, re "now we don't miss Murray any more".

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Neither Spurs or West Ham can lay claim to it. Celtic used to use it for Paddy McCourt, of all people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here