Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS - can we now just BIN the "going up to win the cup" bit ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In our wonderful, unique club anthem we have the superbly evocative line:

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea". Its pinned permanently onto the side of the North Stand, and its in the lyrics on the screens when the teams come out. So WHY do we still persist with this "going up to win the cup" gubbins, when 99% of the time its not even a CUP game anyway ? Why do we sacrifice such a great line, for such a meaningless one ? I'm making it a point of order that when we arrive at that final line in the verse, I will always sing the Stand or Fall line, whether its a cup game or not. And I hope everyone else eventually wakes up to it and does the same.

Point of order - at Charlton there was a large group of lads who actually sung, word for word, the whole of the first verse of Sussex by the Sea, and it sounded magnificent. My ears pricked up as soon as I heard the "Now is the time for marching, now let your hearts be gay", eventually arriving at the time-honoured "all together now...good old Sussex by the sea". Brilliant. To my shame, I wasn't familiar enough with the whole verse to properly join in, but I'm working on it.

Anyway. After the durr durr dur durrr durr durr durr, lets now bin the Cup line and sing the PROPER one.

"YOU CAN TELL THEM ALL THAT WE STAND OR FALL, FOR SUSSEX BY THE SEEEAAAA"

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
On a side issue - they seem to have stopped cutting the music off to leave the more powerful sound of just the crowd singing, which is a shame.

I'm more than happy to have a go at your suggestion though!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Going up to win the cup wasn't right, in any case. When it was changed it was, 'And we're going up and we'll win the cup' etc

Stand or fall is much better.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
"And we're going up for to win the cup"
Strange thing is that, according to the NSC folk, it should be 'stand or fall' and yet this season alone I've been in the East Upper every game except North (only once) and amidst the hard core away fans at 6 grounds and ALL sing 'going up'.
In fact I don't think I've heard 'stand or fall'
After 40 years I am not going to change.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe you should all dress in military uniform whilst you sing the wrong words.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It's interesting that early on in the season, if you listened to radio Sussex, you'd distinctly hear "win the cup". On Monday, I thought it sounded more like "stand or fall".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here