Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What went wrong for the Derby game?

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Everyone was flat afterwards, even the players on their lap of honour....

Was it the occasion, the big crowd, the pressure?

More importantly, how can we ensure they're back to their best on Saturday?

Playing away can sometimes be a great help without the pressure of 30k flag flapping home fans DEMANDING promotion and a flagging manager....

We were long ball hoof-style for much of Saturday, Skalak couldn't cross for toffee, we couldn't string 3 passes together and everyone just looked the opposite to their flair-selves of recent weeks.

Maybe a little dip before unleashing hell on Boro in 3 days?!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"What went wrong" was we were playing the best team we've played in weeks (a team playing MUCH better than Boro have been...) who understood how to stop our passing game. We went more direct in the second half as our midfield was getting overrun.

And we still got a draw.

I don't really agree that anything "went wrong". We played a side who look better than Boro and drew.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I do wonder how much the players were thinking about the Boro game. Even in CH programme notes he said Boro was a big game but first it was Derby. The fact he spoke about Boro made it part of the prep for Derby. Not much went wrong, Derby are a good team but maybe the focus was on Boro a bit. Hopefully the players are fully focused for Saturday, they know what they have to do and are capable of doing it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Where have you been. The Derby game has been discussed t death on here already. It doesn't matter any more.

You might as well have said ''What did you think of that home match against Preston? ''

Forget Derby. Next game is Middlesboro and then play offs if need be.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
very true - Derby are a beast of a team that I hope we don't see again this season....

It felt a bit "wrong" after the game, to me anyway

It was a bit weird after the game, but that was probably down to us not winning. For me I was delighted we fought to get something out of the game. I guess people were already nervous about the Boro game as their friday night result had delivered our fate back to our own hands.

After the euphoria of the three previous games the Derby game was always going to be a strange affair as the season would still remain unresolved a the end of it. Still the game atmosphere was superb and after the game the North Stand was very lively indeed.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I do wonder how much the players were thinking about the Boro game. Even in CH programme notes he said Boro was a big game but first it was Derby. The fact he spoke about Boro made it part of the prep for Derby. Not much went wrong, Derby are a good team but maybe the focus was on Boro a bit. Hopefully the players are fully focused for Saturday, they know what they have to do and are capable of doing it.

I think there is a lot of truth in this - the Derby game had become less important than just getting through it without losing and mishap (Dunk didn't read the script properly). Yes Derby were good but I had the impression that we were actually playing within ourselves.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nothing. Nothing went wrong.

We drew against a very strong Derby side, who quite frankly were lucky to get their goal. That game had 0-0 written all over it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two teams in good form, one of them played with fear, and it showed, the other didn't because the game didn't matter and looked much the better side because of it. Saturday will be a game where both teams play with fear as the game is massive for both of them.

Nothing from the Derby game will have any bearing except we now need to win when a draw would have been good enough if we had won. :shrug:

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
So, we played a very good Derby team who played almost to their full potential. We, were under par, bit of the pace, not fully at the races and we still didn't lose even with 10 men. Not too shabby in the end really.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought we were the better team 1st half, second half we seemed to get overrun in midfield and as a result we much longer which played into Derby's hands. I suspect if we play them again it'll be with an extra man in midfield...

On what I've seen from two games against them I think we would beat them if we meet again.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I went to the match with my wife. She's been to home games at the Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean and the Amex. She's not seen Brighton win at home since 1997. Away wins, yes - but still not a home win since the Goldstone for her. There was just no chance of winning...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here