Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SONOS question...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Quick question to those in the know...

Would a SONOS play 5 speaker AND a playbar in the same room be overkill, or could I get a decent sound from the playbar and save the £££££ on the play 5?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I'm asking a very obvious question!

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham

Would a SONOS play 5 speaker AND a playbar in the same room be overkill, or could I get a decent sound from the playbar and save the £££££ on the play 5?

I have got the playbar and two play 1's in a surround sound setup and I love it. Sound is really good.
I am looking to add the sub too though rather than a play 5.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ive got the playbar, two play 1s and the sub in one room - its awesome, + a couple of play 5's in other rooms. I think you need two extra speakers to get the surroundsound effect and the play 1's are well up to the task (as opposed to a play 5). I guess the size of speaker does ultimately depend on the size of your room though.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thanks peeps.

I should have added that I was planning to get 2 Play 1s in addition to the playbar and/or Play 5.

It would seem the best plan is to go for a playbar and 2 x play 1s only at least for now - I can always add a sub or Play 5 at a later date. :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

As per the above posters I have a playbar and two play 1's.

The guys at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision ( Western Road... near Palmeira Sq ) are very helpful and will demo the equipment for you if you require.

I purchased mine from them last year.

edit: If you purchase from Sonos directly you get a 100 day money back guarantee. http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/playbar

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Some advice from Sonos experts if you please

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Play 3 as a starter. Will that connect directly to my WiFi as a stand alone speaker or do I need to by a Sonos Connect as well?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some advice from Sonos experts if you please

I am thinking of getting a Sonos Play 3 as a starter. Will that connect directly to my WiFi as a stand alone speaker or do I need to by a Sonos Connect as well?

WiFi directly now.

Which reminds me that we still have a connect (or is it a bridge?) that should be surplus to requirements now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which reminds me that we still have a connect (or is it a bridge?) that should be surplus to requirements now.
If you had a connect spare, I'd like to buy it off you. But you don't, you have a bridge don't you.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Actually tempted to invest now, 90% of my music is FLAC and good to see the progress.

Capture.JPG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you had a connect spare, I'd like to buy it off you. But you don't, you have a bridge don't you.

It was him up there who said a Connect.

That's the ridiculously priced thing that makes old-fashioned hi-fi kit Sonosed up isn't it?

I have a Bridge then.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has anyone managed to play a Sonos playlist via their Amazon Echo Dot using Alexa? Yonomi can see both devices but only seems to be able to pause / unpause Sonos. Flipping annoying given Alexa is supposed to be able to control pretty much anything connected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Has anyone managed to play a Sonos playlist via their Amazon Echo Dot using Alexa? Yonomi can see both devices but only seems to be able to pause / unpause Sonos. Flipping annoying given Alexa is supposed to be able to control pretty much anything connected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beta programme to go live in January with an Echo/Sonos update to follow.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've just got a play 5 for the living room. The first Sonos in my house. I am very happy with it, although I have a large music collection, I use Spotify basic a lot on my phone and stream in my car and another few Bluetooth speakers. However you need premium to work with Sonos, so I wondered which other services are truely free? Are they any good? Cheers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here