Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Boro play a 5 man midfield how does 4-4-2 counteract this?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Boro play with the one man up top so how do we stop them from bossing the centre of the pitch; attacker dropping off?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
let them boss it if we snuff out the attacking threat then that is it

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This may be heresy but maybe play hemed a bit deeper?

Derby played a midfield three and it gave kayal and Stephens limited opportunity

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I imagine that there are a number of ways, firstly go wide as there won't be the space through the centre. Secondly move it quickly, the forwards need to look to receive down the wings and channels.

With good passing and tempo you can negate the extra man though you need to be well disciplined in defence and have good fitness, with Kayal and Stephens this shouldn't be a problem. I'd say Brighton have a very good setup to counter the 4-5-1.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It could simply involve Steve Sidwell, as was the case at Birmingham, until such time as we need either a...

Plan B: Shit - they've scored, we now need two.
Plan C: Seventy-five minute stalemate achieved, let's throw the works at them now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bruno and Rosenior often push on giving us a 2-6-2 formation.

Let them worry about us.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think we can play through 4-5-1 but having the intensity to close the ball when we are a man down, playing against quality could leave us very vulnerable energy wise for the last 20-25.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to see Sidwell involved. Kayal and Stephens need help, especially Kayal, in order to flourish.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
It could simply involve Steve Sidwell, as was the case at Birmingham, until such time as we need either a...

Plan B: Shit - they've scored, we now need two.
Plan C: Seventy-five minute stalemate achieved, let's throw the works at them now.
I think this is the most likely option. We don't want Boro to get on top the way Derby did in the 2nd half on Monday.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Negative thinking I am looking more at how Boro will deal with our corners and free kicks together with our counter attacking pace and quality.
We are the better team let them get more concerned

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
With a 4-4-2 against a 4-5-1 you are going to have to accept that you will have a smaller share of possession and your front pair will have to drop in, "defend from the front" etc and you will be reliant on hitting your wide men quickly when you win the ball. I think this suits us best anyway so the decision for me would be not whether to match them up but to choose between Jiri Skalak's delivery and Jamie Murphy's ability to run with the ball (with Knockaert being a no-brainer to start on the right.) I think I'd be inclined to opt for Murphy on this occasion and put Knockaert on the set-pieces so you are only losing Jiri's delivery in open play. I'm not really sure why Kaz came on for Jiri rather than JM against Derby, I hope CH just felt he was the right choice for the situation rather than JM being out of favour for whatever reason.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Teams have played 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 all season against us... Middlesbrough may be better than the others but we have plenty of experience playing against it

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Out of interest who else plays a successful 4-5-1 in the champ, Burnley?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Out of interest who else plays a successful 4-5-1 in the champ, Burnley?

we play 4-4-2, as mentioned above you need to have a good exit plan when you get the ball back, ours is to hit Vokes (who drops deep) or Gray (sits in the channel). Both forwards split to get away from the crowded centre. This is where we get the hoofball tag from, though it's perhaps a bit more refined than that!.

I think Nugent is a far better player if you play 4-5-1 as his all round game is good, Rhodes can be a bit too static, something Blackburn fans admitted and indeed a couple of ex players (think it was Dunn who hinted at this). Rhodes is still good, but doesn't have much of an all round game in terms of holding it up etc.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We've played plenty of sides with a 5 man midfield this season. No bother. Play our normal game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here