Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Derby match report

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Big game. Big occasion. Didn't quite go to plan, but plenty to report...

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?611-Albion-1-1-Derby-County-02-05-2016

The Albion pressed, but created little. The big game began to drift toward a big anti-climax. The board went up to announce four added minutes. A flurry of corners. Nothing doing. Another corner. Four minutes nearly up – a tactical substitution – Derby man of the match Hughes, taking an age to slow-jog off, clapping the away fans as he went. Effective ‘game management’ – except when the extra 30 seconds added for the time you’ve wasted, allow the opposition just long enough to equalise with the last kick of the contest…

Stockdale trundled up for the last-ditch corner, and launched himself like a bowling ball into the waiting Derby skittles. The ball looped up – a dreadful attempt at a clearing header from Olsen – straight to James Wilson, whose right foot volley deflected over Carson, and dropped gently into the net. Scenes. Mathematically insignificant scenes, but scenes nonetheless. The Amex erupted.

This was the moment to celebrate an unlikely last second 10-man equaliser – not to sit spitefully denying yourself the moment, because it ‘meant nothing’. At that second it meant plenty. Intangibles perhaps – team spirit – momentum – faith - all that stuff – but plenty.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty much captures it I reckon, nice work

Not telling you how this was sent or from what device [emoji867]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great reports all year. Looking forward to the next one. Everyone will be reading that with glee.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Great reports all year. Looking forward to the next one. Everyone will be reading that with glee.

Cliche but "this". Boro could be a masterpiece

Thank you.

Alas, I shall not be at Boro, because a) no ticket, and b) I honestly couldn't bear it. I'll be watching the game through my fingers, on my iPad, via a borrowed Sky Go account.

This is not to say there will be NO report - just that I shall not be writing it! My *colleague* has written a couple this season, and may well do so, if in a fit state to do so!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stupid post. Nothing went wrong. Very entertaining game played by 2 good sides.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As ever Exile, an excellent report, your use of FFS was more than warranted!

And a very special thank you for including that extract from the Telegraph. It certainly answers those who were baffled by or dismissive of our last minute jubilation; stirring, powerfully evocative words well worth repeating.

"Never has a goal this meaningless been greeted with a noise this cacophonous. A point was as good as none for Brighton here, yet the rush of euphoria that followed James Wilson's injury-time equaliser was a celebration of something more symbolic. It was a message - to a record crowd, to their promotion rivals, to the multitudes watching in the front rooms on Teesside and on the big screen outside Turf Moor - that Brighton will not go meekly into the night."

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
As ever Exile, an excellent report, your use of FFS was more than warranted!

And a very special thank you for including that extract from the Telegraph. It certainly answers those who were baffled by or dismissive of our last minute jubilation; stirring, powerfully evocative words well worth repeating.

"Never has a goal this meaningless been greeted with a noise this cacophonous. A point was as good as none for Brighton here, yet the rush of euphoria that followed James Wilson's injury-time equaliser was a celebration of something more symbolic. It was a message - to a record crowd, to their promotion rivals, to the multitudes watching in the front rooms on Teesside and on the big screen outside Turf Moor - that Brighton will not go meekly into the night."

Brilliant wasn't it? Rousing stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here