Beware sloppy letting agents

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
how in gods name afer you have written everything down can they get
your address wrong
your email address wrong
your referee's address's,phone numbers,email address's wrong.

the one very bad thing here is they have got our home address where we live now wrong, so how in gods name can they do a credit check.
we were supposed to start the lease on the 1st may and finish the one here on the 31st giving us one month to move out and move in, so it looks like the start will be put back until 14th.
so two weeks to arrange the changeover then the last one took 6 weeks after arranging it some 5 weeks in advance(this take note was due to BT and British Gas being tardy on handing over to other companies) 6 weeks without internet,phone and a £170 bill from BG for gas and £89 for electric.
Oh the letting company got one thing right

THE F**KING BILL

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Name and SHAME

I might at a later date........but the way things are going we might have to take legal action to get some of our money back.
lots of pretty girls sitting at desks with computers ........but are they actually doing anything?

EDIT
THE ADDRESS THEY HAVE US AT NOW DOES NOT EVEN EXIST

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
As Ernest said, name and shame; only way to get rid of the sloppy ones is to ensure they lose business.

I have a gripe with letting agencies and its extortionate fees. Me and my girlfriend are looking to move out in 2017 after I finish my masters, however, we will need to save up around £2000, now, rent and deposit is understandable, that takes up £1500 worth. But the £500 is for admin fees, guarantor fees and an 'inventory list' fee, but the places we're looking at are unfurnished.

Now, their job doesn't require much manual labour so surely their job is to do paperwork; so why are they charging such high prices is beyond me. The admin fees cost around £200 alone and the "inventory list" is something like £100. I really don't know what they'll be looking for as they properties we've begun looking at have nothing.

Safe to say, I don't look favourably on them...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As Ernest said, name and shame; only way to get rid of the sloppy ones is to ensure they lose business.

I have a gripe with letting agencies and its extortionate fees. Me and my girlfriend are looking to move out in 2017 after I finish my masters, however, we will need to save up around £2000, now, rent and deposit is understandable, that takes up £1500 worth. But the £500 is for admin fees, guarantor fees and an 'inventory list' fee, but the places we're looking at are unfurnished.

Now, their job doesn't require much manual labour so surely their job is to do paperwork; so why are they charging such high prices is beyond me. The admin fees cost around £200 alone and the "inventory list" is something like £100. I really don't know what they'll be looking for as they properties we've begun looking at have nothing.

we have had to pay 6 months in advance to ensure we get the place, fortunately that has not gone out yet
4 or more girls in the local office and I have spoken to at least 6 in the HQ
where the **** do they find these people?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
we have had to pay 6 months in advance to ensure we get the place, fortunately that has not gone out yet
4 or more girls in the local office and I have spoken to at least 6 in the HQ
where the **** do they find these people?

Jesus, 6 months? I sincerely hope we don't have to dish out that much. Whilst I'm on a very good part-time wage and taking home £650 a month between my studies. My girlfriend is a student nurse, she cannot simply work inbetween her studies and placements. She gets £750 every 3 months and £400 a month for rent; but has to travel across Lincolnshire for the placements, she has very little to save each month.

I understand some fees, but the prices and other fees are questionable.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Jesus, 6 months? I sincerely hope we don't have to dish out that much. Whilst I'm on a very good part-time wage and taking home £650 a month between my studies. My girlfriend is a student nurse, she cannot simply work inbetween her studies and placements. She gets £750 every 3 months and £400 a month for rent; but has to travel across Lincolnshire for the placements, she has very little to save each month.

I understand some fees, but the prices and other fees are questionable.

we are talking Eastbourne
after seeing one place in the flesh so to speak after identifying it online which was unsuitable I contacted 4 other agents about properties that had only just come on the market (3/4 hours at the most) and they had all been taken, the one we are after had just been put on the market so we looked and took it on the spot(remembering we have animals(thats a minefield on its own)) with the agreement that that sealed the deal along with a small reduction on the rent.
having looked at a few online at and around the same price we were lucky (thats of coarse if we get it) loads of people renting for just 6 months and using it as a holiday home for that time.
this probably does not happen so much in Brighton (someone will know on here)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Go private? Honestly those prices do sound like a complete joke, that can't be par for the course?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Go private? Honestly those prices do sound like a complete joke, that can't be par for the course?

it is..................unfortunately

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We spent 2 years with an agency rented place. Rent went up every contract renewal. Whether it was "worth it" or not.

They're argument was that the going rate is going up. If you're not happy then we have a list of potential renters waiting..... Almost telling you to **** off if you don't like it.

We managed to find a private place and are just coming up to the 2 year mark so it is contract renewal time coming up. Our landlord was completely honest with us at the last one and actually told us that his mortgage was changing on our flat so he would have to charge us an extra £20 per month. We've swallowed it as we really like the flat and it's a great location but he better not say the same thing this year or we might have to start looking elsewhere. With the missus back at work after our daughter turned 18 months only part time, and childcare costs we're really beginning to feel the pinch.

It also proves to me that I am quite literally buying his place for him. And it really really ***** me off.

I can afford to pay a mortgage. BECAUSE I ALREADY AM!!!!!!

Because of this I can't afford to save for a deposit. So I can't get my own. It really is upsetting and I get down thinking about it so perhaps I should stop now. I could rant forever about it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Many landlords cut out letting agents which stops these fees. When I had rental properties never failed to rent a property via Gumtree etc.

Letting Agents bring nothing to the table for either party.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

This is private, it's not student accommodation. We're getting an idea of what kind of savings will be needed for when we leave, so far, it's across the board.

Many landlords cut out letting agents which stops these fees. When I had rental properties never failed to rent a property via Gumtree etc.

Letting Agents bring nothing to the table for either party.

Interesting, never considered through gumtree. Thanks for bringing that up, that's another avenue!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Letting agents are my absolute #1 HATE in life.

I've been ****ed around so much by shambolic companies, and I've been charged heavily for the pleasure.

Private. Private. PRIVATE!

:shootself

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This is private, it's not student accommodation. We're getting an idea of what kind of savings will be needed for when we leave, so far, it's across the board.

Interesting, never considered through gumtree. Thanks for bringing that up, that's another avenue!

I mean as in a private landlord as opposed to through an agency, a bit more of a lottery perhaps, you could get a right **** but the chance as well to get a much better deal! Facebook groups, gumtree, potentially spareroom depending on what your looking for, rightmove, zoopla etc etc

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I absolutely ****ing hates letting agents - the useless sponging scumbags.

After bad experiences as a landlord I rented my flat out privately. It is very easy, and all the info and resources you need are available on line, including online agents that will get your place listed on rightmove for £40 - you just have to take a few pics and provide the appropriate description.

It is an absolute disgrace that agents will do stuff like charge tenants an admin fee to register with them, and then charge them £100 for a credit reference (cost price about £25). Before I became savvy, I had an agent charge both me and my tenant an admin fee for the AST to roll over onto a periodic tenancy!!!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I mean as in a private landlord as opposed to through an agency, a bit more of a lottery perhaps, you could get a right **** but the chance as well to get a much better deal! Facebook groups, gumtree, potentially spareroom depending on what your looking for, rightmove, zoopla etc etc

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, that's an option. We've been looking through zoopla et al for a week or two and found some lovely stuff. Though, the costs are easily manageable. I've been fortunate to land myself a very cushty job with Anglian Water which can lead onto a graduate programme in their asset management scheme; it's a case of discipline and putting about 20-25% of my monthly wages away.

But will certainly keep these options in mind.

Apologies to OP, I didn't mean to derail your thread!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, that's an option. We've been looking through zoopla et al for a week or two and found some lovely stuff. Though, the costs are easily manageable. I've been fortunate to land myself a very cushty job with Anglian Water which can lead onto a graduate programme in their asset management scheme; it's a case of discipline and putting about 20-25% of my monthly wages away.

But will certainly keep these options in mind.

Apologies to OP, I didn't mean to derail your thread!

if it helps you are welcome

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As a landlord, I don't think I've ever come across a decent lettings agent. If I lived closer to my properties, I'd definitely find tenants via the private route.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
finally got the moving date after blowing a bloody fuse or two
26/27th may settle over that weekend
AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE PREMIERSHIP
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here