Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How will the Boro game play out?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Who can be the closest with their prediction for how the drama will unfold at the Riverside on Saturday?

I'm going for a cagey opening as both sides feel each other out. Boro are keen to not over-commit going forward, whilst Albion do not want to concede the goal that will leave us with Mission: Impossible.

We'll become the dominant side from around 25 minutes, but other than a few half-chances, we don't look like scoring. The first half ends with neither 'keeper having made a save of note.

The Albion come out absolutely flying after the break and it looks as if it could be just a matter of time before we get the vital breakthrough. Boro ride that particular storm as the game enters the final quarter.

From a passage of play that sees Boro threaten, the Albion break forward at lightning speed and after the chance appears to be lost, Knockaert picks the ball up and conjures up some magic. It's 1-0 to the Albion with a long looking 20+ minutes ahead. Sky cameras catch Steve Gibson mouthing "Oh, f*ck" and the watching world wonder if he really does have a financial Plan B to fall back on should Boro fail to go up.

Boro press, patiently at first, and then with hints of desperation. Albion look to counter and one chance is taken. I don't know who scores it as I can no longer look by this stage. Either that or I have taken one of my traditional 'comfort breaks' that so often seem to coincide with an Albion goal.

The Albion fall back as Boro throw the kitchen sink at us. Karanka throws caution to the wind and plays two strikers at the same time. The pressure tells and David Nugent nets a trademark 94th minute goal. It proves to be the last kick of the match and the Albion have secured promotion.

As a post-script Karanka, who suffers yet more abuse from the Boro faithful, quits before the play-off first leg. Without him holding the Championship Galacticos back, Boro romp the play-offs to join the Albion in the Premier League.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've already told you [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]:

We will be 3 goals up in the first half hour on Saturday. A Skalak corner and Hemed nods in the first in the 5th minute. Seven minutes later, Knockaert will skin De Laet to present Stephens with a tap in for 2-0. With Boro pushing to get back into the game, Albion break again in the 29th minute, Skalak feeding Wilson to score with a crap shot through the keeper's legs. Boro will spend the next 55 minutes absolutely battering us, and will pull one back in the 75th minute but with time running out Skalak to Wilson, lays off to Hemed and that's four. But the Riverside will be half empty by then.

As a post-script Karanka, who suffers yet more abuse from the Boro faithful, quits before the play-off first leg. Without him holding the Championship Galacticos back, Boro romp the play-offs to join the Albion in the Premier League.
I would absolutely love this, by the way. Karanka annoys me far more than the ginger dalek who I have to admit to having a grudging respect for. He's just too Poyet, too designer manager, too overrated...

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
We are going to win 7-0 with 5 goals coming in the first 25 minutes. The 2nd half will be complete snore fest as we look to waste time and Boro's main goal becomes avoiding injuries and suspensions ahead of the playoffs.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
0-0 after 85 minutes, calderon comes on from the bench to replace Rosenior and scores one with his face on 93 minutes.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Bobby comes on for the last 15minutes, clears from a corner in injury time, and then runs the full length of the pitch to get on the end of Knockys pass (which he picked up from Greer) and slots home. 0-1 Albion FT

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
We'll go 1-0 up very early on.

Then sit back.... and sit back.... and sit back....and sit back..... then as I accept we've done the impossible, drop to my knees and begin to howl in tearful ecstasy, half-gnawed crumbs of valiums raining from my mouth, Boro score in the 95th minute.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'll have a go:

Cup Final feel to it, sun breaking through in the second half as more space appears on the pitch. As far as play is concerned, sedate beginning, very nervy, nothing much happening in the first ten minutes, then Middlesbrough goal from a set-piece. Albion can't really get going, but create a couple of half-chances towards the end of the half, although Boro look dangerous when they venture forward. HT 1-0. Second half starts with a flurry, end to end, but settles down to a stodgy midfield battle for about 10-15 minutes. With about 25 minutes left, Albion bring on a further attacking option. Spaces appear on the pitch as Albion start to dominate possession in the Boro half, but without much penetration in the area. On 82 minutes, Albion break through from a set-piece. Frantic few minutes as Albion try to break through again, only to be caught 3 against 1 in a breakaway. Boro 2-1. Game fizzles out amidst loud Boro fan pandemonium and pictures of sad blue and white painted faces staring mutely into the middle ground. It's a sad ending, I'm afraid.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
I hope we can get a goal early enough to calm some nerves. Boro press very hard late on knowing a draw sees them through, we then counter attack and win the game 2-0.

That's what I would like to happen. I'm very nervous and don't know if I will be able to watch, might be behind the sofa the whole game.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Boro score in the first ten minutes when a Jordan Rhodes shot that was heading for a throw in takes three deflections and ends up as a tap in for Ramirez. A shellshocked Albion barely hang on in the first half and NSC goes into meltdown.

Skalak has been useless and fans clamour for him to be subbed. Then five minutes into the second half an Ayala clearance drops to him 25 yards out and he volleys it first time into the top corner (with a foot like a traction engine). Boro regroup and knowing that they only need to draw, sit back and try to hit us on the break. Rhodes has three one on one chances with Stockdale but fails to score. Murphy comes on for Skalak and causes problems running at their tiring defenders. Albion have a decent shout for a penalty turned down when Wilson is dragged down in the box, time is running out.

92nd minute Albion win a corner. Knockheart whips the perfect ball in and Connor Goldson hammers in an unstoppable header after Stockdale has done his wrecking ball impression in the Boro penalty area. There's barely time to kick off before the final whistle goes.

Steve Gibson faints, Karanka storms down the tunnel and straight out of the ground. Brighton are promoted.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
1 down inside 10 mins. Before GG levels from a set piece mid way through thr 2nd half, then Wilson scrambles home yet another late winner..

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The fact that they don't actually have to WIN to go up just feels so unfair doesn't it!

Ok, so. This is what will happen

- Boro BATTER us for the first 20 minutes or so which is good. We ALWAYS ****ing lose when we start brightly.
- We hold out and EASE our way into the game
- On 44 minutes we nick a goal.
- We come out in the 2nd half playing well and take that first chance which you can't afford to miss. 2-0
- Boro get one back immediately. 'Typical Brighton' we all say.
- Boro continue to torture our nerves, hit the bar and low and behold. Get the equaliser in the 80th minute.
- Elvis Manu comes on and fulfills his destiny by scoring a 95th minute bicycle kick to take us to the promised land.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I will be cleaning nerve-induced vomit off myself for most the game and miss the Connor Goldson header on 72 minutes.

I will then vomit on myself again whilst Middlesborough surge forward. I will only relax when Knocky races away and squares it to Baldock who tucks in number 2 at which point I will kiss strangers around me with my sick-covered lips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here