Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats to be done about the slow walk off scenario for substitutions?

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I'm getting sick and tired of watching the likes of Will Hughes and all doing the slow walk off when being substituted..:rave:
He almost walked backwards yesterday in an attempt to break up the rhythm of the game ...
My idea to speed things up would be to make the oncoming player wait on the touchline for as long as it took the off going player to leave the field of play ... this could be easily monitored by the 4th official and may add a degree of urgency and sportsman ship into the game ... anybody got any other thoughts on this one ?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The ref adds time on, no problem

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Red card, incoming player not allowed on, 5 minutes added on top of whatever injury time is already tallied, and two penalty kicks.

Unless we're winning.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yesterday it worked in our favour. The delay was so long they lost focus and within seconds we had equalised.

One of these days a Player being subbed who is already booked will get another yellow for time-wasting thus meaning the Sub cannot come on the pitch.

I would dearly love to see this happen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are we not getting a little bit precious? I've lost count of the number of times we have been winning, seen a sub coming that means Hemed/Baldock/KLL would walk to the opposite side of the pitch then walk off slowly... all part of the game

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
The sanctions are already available - adding time on etc, booking for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Referees don't apply them.

Refs have booked both Stockdale (several times i think) and opponent GKs this season for timewasting this season and there's also been (although its rare) the odd yellow for walking off slowly for a substitution.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yellow cards. Start throwing them around and people will start to sort themselves out.

Another thing to be sorted: if you go down injured you leave the pitch by the closest available touchline. None of this limping the length of the pitch nonsense.

Oh, and it'd be nice to see more referees actually book keepers for time-wasting instead of just telling them to hurry up.

I shouldn't really watch football, so much of it winds me up.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Allow a specific amount of time to leave the pitch, say 30 seconds, monitoredby the fourth official. Automatic yellow card if you don't get off in time, unless being stretchered off.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
01286244cbdb47d8896c3aea0821a396.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here