Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why yesterdays result was perfect

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
In any race you need a moment when you slow up just a little, the curve has to dip slightly before the finish, so the curve can rise again for the sprint at the end.

Asking the football Gods for 8 wins on the bounce is asking an awful lot. Asking for 6 wins, a draw and another win, that is a far more reasonable ask.

When a draw is enough you spend 90 minutes 50% worrying about scoring and 50% worrying about the other team scoring. You want the game to end after the first minute. But when you need a win you are concerned 100% with scoring yourself, from the first minute.

What we showed and how we felt in the final minutes against Derby, that is what we will now need to show and feel from the off against Boro. That, for me, is a good thing.

After 6 straight wins we were maybe due something other than a win at some point very soon. Now we have had it. Now we are due a win. We've got our blip out of the way, we take our frustration and results breather being for yesterday, and now we use it to get back to winning again on Saturday.

Makes perfect sense to me, and more sense than 8 wins on the bounce.

BELIEVE. :bhasign:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
When a draw is enough you spend 90 minutes 50% worrying about scoring and 50% worrying about the other team scoring. You want the game to end after the first minute. But when you need a win you are concerned 100% with scoring yourself, from the first minute.

I agree with what you say, but trust me, if we score in the first minute, I'll be bricking myself about 'boro scoring for the rest of the match (unless we put 6 past them shortly afterwards)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
yep
lets go for it
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Jim in the West

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
In any race you need a moment when you slow up just a little, the curve has to dip slightly before the finish, so the curve can rise again for the sprint at the end.

Asking the football Gods for 8 wins on the bounce is asking an awful lot. Asking for 6 wins, a draw and another win, that is a far more reasonable ask.

What we showed and how we felt in the final minutes against Derby, that is what we will now need to show and feel from the off against Boro. That, for me, is a good thing.

After 6 straight wins we were maybe due something other than a win at some point very soon. Now we have had it. Now we are due a win. We've got our blip out of the way, we take our frustration and results breather being for yesterday, and now we use it to get back to winning again on Saturday.

I have a feeling this will be the mentality in the dressing room :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Hmmm......the words 'doctor' and 'spin' rather spring to mind.

Hope you're right though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Then again... if we go behind, we're ****ed.

We'd need to score two goals against a team which has conceded just seven at home all season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Peter Mandelson would've been proud of that.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm with the OP all the way on this. I said a few games back that we would be very hard pressed to win 7 on the bounce. I almost feel as though the laws of probability have been observed and we can get on with winning again now.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
It wouldn't have needed to be 8 wins in a row though would it?

If you had won you could have come to the Riverside needing a point.

How is that better than needing a win?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I like your reasoning, and your positivity, good post.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Ave away goals is 1.4 scored and 1.0 conceded per game.
Ave points away from home is 1.7 per game.

We have drawn 5 games away from home 0-0 and also won 5 games away from home 2-1. Statistically it will be one of those scores on Saturday.

el punal

Then again... if we go behind, we're ****ed.

We'd need to score two goals against a team which has conceded just seven at home all season.

Three months ago I would have agreed with you. The situation has now changed so much that we can conjure up goals from anywhere, and that could be the ace up our sleeve.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Think you've found a way to make everyone feel positive. We are certainly due a win against a team from the top 8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here