Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The importance of Positive thinking - how success is made.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
As a species, the human mindset is set to be positive. It's why we know so much, and at the same time being aware that we know so little, about the world and universe we inhabit.

Dealing in reality, and realistic outcomes has never really been a modus operandi. We'd have never got to the moon, never have split the atom, never had built civilisations if we had merely accepted our surroundings and never questioned the perceived realities of the societies that we live in.

Of course, ingenuity is absolutely key here, but it is the positive psychology that accompanies it that acts as an enabler. Perhaps, it's the biggest enabler. Believe and achieve.

As it is within life, it is in sport. Greece won Euro 2004, a British man won Wimbledon, Leicester are champions.

None of these were really expected, none would have happened without belief.

In the grand scheme of things these sort of triumphs are clearly less of a benefit for the entire human race, but it makes a few of us who are affected very happy when it happens. In turn, these event provide inspiration to those who believe in the protagonists to achieve something in their own lives. If they can do it, why can't I.

Of course we need realistic thinking, in order to complete the more mundane tasks in life, or in order to keep ourselves safe and healthy. But it can't all be that.

If you are purely a realistic thinker, it's very hard to accomplish these sorts of landmark events. You're too busy dealing with the negatives of impending negativity, preparing yourselves for a fall, stopping yourself from spending energy on changing the situation.

Go back 9 months. What did you realistically think Brighton could achieve this season?

Some will have predicted success, the majority would have tempted fate with an upper half finish and some may well have ever been down in the dumps about any progress whatsoever.

Granted, that is an assumption. Written on the back of a fag packet. But I'd bet that it's not too far off the majority of supporters expectations. Group think is a powerful thing, and for some reason, most football fans tend to think the worst. We set ourselves up for failure before it's ever really happened. It makes it easier to deal with the fallout, and then when a nice surprise happens, it's rather good. There is no doubt in my mind that the perceived reality going into this season was of a far more tumultuous ride, a more challenging set of circumstances.

The management and players had other ideas of course, and through a combination of skill, team spirit and hard work have managed to overcome expectations to put us in a position of one win away from the Premier League.

Read that again, one win away from all of our footballing dreams. And not only that, one win away with a safety net of another chance of making it via the play offs.

In reality, we should be over the moon, yet I detect that many are still pessimistic and disappointed with our efforts. We should have beaten Derby. Dunk should have stayed on the pitch. There's no way we're going to beat Middlesbrough on their own turf. All of these I've heard several times in hours since beating Derby.

Why? Granted we have to deal with realism here - a win, and a full complement of players would have made it easier against Boro. But the reality also states that Derby are a very good footballing side, containing a player in Will Hughes who should be playing at the highest level. If Birmingham, with nothing to play for, didn't roll over for Boro, why would Derby, who did have something to play for, roll over for us.

They wouldn't, and they didn't. But by James Wilson scoring in the last minute, we did something that gave us something to believe in. The players knew that this action was ultimately pointless. Stockdale knew that going up for the corner was ultimately pointless. But they still did it, and we equalised. And it felt good. Really good.

And so on to Boro. Over the next few days, the majority of the football going crowd in Sussex and a fair few beyond will be consumed in thinking of permutations. Gripped with nerves, over thinking the reality of the situation. Boro have only lost two at home. We'll **** it up. We always **** it up. It would feel amazing if we did it, but lets face it, it's going to be a draw. And then we'll lose in the play offs. These are the conversations I've already had with my football friends and my family. I'd wager (again) that these conversations are being had by many others. They're being had by the father and son duo who are renovating my house right now.

These are realities some of us can see happening, it's what we condition ourselves to expect.

If the players think like that, then that's what will happen.

But they won't be thinking like that. They'll be thinking one more win and we can make it to the big time. Because they are the same bunch of players who have only lost five games this season. They are the same bunch of players who have only lost two of those away at home. They are the same bunch of players who have actually changed our perceptions of what is realistic. They are the same bunch of players who have managed to win several games this season by the odd goal. They are the same bunch of players who were determined not to lose on Monday afternoon, despite it not really mattering.

We all have to remember that all our chat, and any negative feelings in this scenario, are pointless. There are three possible results on Saturday, and only one of those will see us go up. And if we don't make it, we have another chance.

The players will have to approach the game, much as they have every other one this season, by trying to win it. It's something they've become rather good at this season, via talent and hard work.

The human race has achieved great things with talent and hard work. But it would never have got anywhere without belief, and dealing in the stuff of dreams.

So I implore you, leave realistic thinking for another strata of your life. The bits about making sure the kids get to school on time, making sure you've got the right ingredients in for tea.

Let's talk about the positive stuff, and making dreams come reality. Because that's the stuff we remember.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Agree that it's always best to positive, but disagree that our brains are set to be positive like you say. Our caveman ancestors always had to be vigilant and wary of predators lurking around trying to eat them, so our brains have evolved and wired to have a negative biased over the positive so we can recall places and situations to avoid being killed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here