Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away at Sheff Weds

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm curious. Over on Owls Talk, they reckon we wouldn't bring 2,000 for the play-off first leg on the Friday night. Initially that sounded laughable to me, but actually I do wonder if we'd take 2,000. People would be feeling a little flat, and it is quite a long trek for a night game. Plus this is the third time in four years - play-off games don't feel quite so special any more.

If we did end up third, what do you think? Would we take 2,000?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm curious. Over on Owls Talk, they reckon we wouldn't bring 2,000 for the play-off first leg on the Friday night. Initially that sounded laughable to me, but actually I do wonder if we'd take 2,000. People would be feeling a little flat, and it is quite a long trek for a night game. Plus this is the third time in four years - play-off games don't feel quite so special any more.

If we did end up third, what do you think? Would we take 2,000?

Started talking about this with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on the train home last night. The fact is, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't go, but I really don't think I would, although that could just be a symptom of the current mood of flatness I have.

I was up there for the league game this season and it was a bloody long journey home with 50mph restrictions and closed motorway sections aplenty. I think I got home around 4am in the end.

Given the distance involved, a Friday night is massively more awkward to attend than a Saturday and will reduce our away following significantly. You can't get there and back on the train, so you'll need to either stay over or drive and leave at lunchtime on Friday, involving time off work and the like.

Finally, 2,500 people are making the commitment of getting up to Boro with many taking time off work on Friday to do so, and others spending small fortunes on train fares.

I'm waffling. 2,000 feels about par to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only had 1,500 or so.

Would you go [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]?

I'm sure we would take thousands! Hearing some of our fans on the radio pre derby game was an inspiration,the guy who had been watching the Albion since 1967 and has been waiting all that time for us to get into the premiership! The lad who was asked who his favourite player was and said all of them:whistle: Looks like we are premiere league ready(well at least we have the premiere league fans already in place):moo: Should take 3500 to Wednesday tbf:bhasign:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure we would take thousands! Hearing some of our fans on the radio pre derby game was an inspiration,the guy who had been watching the Albion since 1967 and has been waiting all that time for us to get into the premiership! The lad who was asked who his favourite player was and said all of them:whistle: Looks like we are premiere league ready(well at least we have the premiere league fans already in place):moo: Should take 3500 to Wednesday tbf:bhasign:

**** me, for a moment there I thought I was reading a positive post by you...

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Started talking about this with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on the train home last night. The fact is, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't go, but I really don't think I would, although that could just be a symptom of the current mood of flatness I have.

I was up there for the league game this season and it was a bloody long journey home with 50mph restrictions and closed motorway sections aplenty. I think I got home around 4am in the end.

Given the distance involved, a Friday night is massively more awkward to attend than a Saturday and will reduce our away following significantly. You can't get there and back on the train, so you'll need to either stay over or drive and leave at lunchtime on Friday, involving time off work and the like.

Finally, 2,500 people are making the commitment of getting up to Boro with many taking time off work on Friday to do so, and others spending small fortunes on train fares.

I'm waffling. 2,000 feels about par to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only had 1,500 or so.

Would you go [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]?

Why are you feeling so flat?

We are about to go into a shootout with Boro and even the worse case scenario sees us in the play-offs.

This time last year...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got a Palace play off ticket day before the game. There was low demand. Isn't it to do with short time for second leg and Sky?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
can you get home by train on the same evening?

Having looked in to it not really no. It is quicker by car that i can tell. Route being suggested is Sheffield - Doncaster - Kings Cross - Tube to Victoria - Brighton. Issue being arriving at Kings Cross at after midnight means waiting for the 4am odd train to Brighton. And that is pretty tight as the train leaves at 21:54 from Sheffield

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why are you feeling so flat?

We are about to go into a shootout with Boro and even the worse case scenario sees us in the play-offs.

This time last year...

Without wishing to sidetrack this thread, it's covered here, by me and others: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?337563-Feeling-flat

And I know it's largely irrational because I agree it's been an amazing season and that the opportunity we have is still a great one. It probably boils down to me really wanting Boro to have to attack us and, as it stands, they don't.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I could work in Sheffield that day but....I've only been to Sheff wed away once since the Hillsborough disaster and sat in the main stand (next to Paul Shane of hi di hi fame)

I have no inclination to sit on the leppings lane end at Sheff wed and that coupled with the u7 team I coach having a football tournament on the Saturday and also my wife doing her marathon on the Saturday all converge to me saying 'i'm out'

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Am I missing something here?
So it will be the first leg and live on TV, but surely we would get 2000 plus. Put me down for one.
Wembley is away with a 5 pm kick off, do you think we could sell 2000 for that?

EDIT.
Been once to Hillsborough in the 70's. Practically strip searched by the roughest police at the train station and I remember to this day standing at the back of the stand reading some graffiti on the tin wall (though I forget what it said).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here