Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League refs

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why is it that when they ref in the lower divisions, they approach it totally differently. Not complaining about Dunk's yellows - both to be expected - but the number of cynical fouls Christie committed, he should have gone well before that. Likewise, Barton in the Burnley game. Messrs Pawson and Madley have done us no favours at all.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Do they approach the games differently? You could just call it inconsistency, I've noticed loads of players getting 2/3/4 or more chances in PL games.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Why is it that when they ref in the lower divisions, they approach it totally differently. Not complaining about Dunk's yellows - both to be expected - but the number of cynical fouls Christie committed, he should have gone well before that. Likewise, Barton in the Burnley game. Messrs Pawson and Madley have done us no favours at all.

I dont think they set out in either game to ruin Brightons chance of going up (especially in this game as Brighton are not even playing) I think they do however let the game flow a little

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I thought the referee was appalling today and I very rarely get worked up about refs. Aside from Dunk's second yellow, I'm not really sure he made a right call. How on Earth Derby weren't down to 10 men is beyond me. I've never seen a team commit so many tactical fouls, and time waste so much, all in one game. The strange thing was we barely touched them all game, which is a frustration in itself, but the ref somehow contrived to send off one of our players.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I dont think they set out in either game to ruin Brightons chance of going up (especially in this game as Brighton are not even playing) I think they do however let the game flow a little

That's not what I said. Why should they let a Championship game flow more than a Premier League match? There's playing advantage - which is good - and there's failing to apply the laws of the game - which is bad. Both Christie and Barton would have been sent off in a Premier League match for their persistent fouling.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The time keeping needs looked at today. Goldson was on the sideline for three minutes alone, yet only two minutes injury time first half. Second half you had Derby taking forever to stop celebrating their goal, the head injury to rosenior, the non-injury by the player who avoided a yellow for a foul, the ref told Carson to hurry almost every time he had a dead ball, and their players took forever to leave the pitch for substitutions, yet only four minutes in the second half.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
That's not what I said. Why should they let a Championship game flow more than a Premier League match? There's playing advantage - which is good - and there's failing to apply the laws of the game - which is bad. Both Christie and Barton would have been sent off in a Premier League match for their persistent fouling.

They are not, you are contradicting yourself from your first post, they are reffing as they do in the prem, its just your used to a poorer ref from the championship for most games of the season. Like someone just said if you had managed to get a few more shots on targets (and converted them) today this would not have been posted its not the ref that set your team up to play like that today

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]727153193214418944[/tweet]
[tweet]727159333130215425[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm all for letting games flow, that's a refreshing thing. Consistency is where the problem is.

Today, if Dunk's were two yellow cards, and they probably were, then Christie should have walked long before Dunk. That's the frustration.

Having said that, I don't think the ref was in any way to blame for our result today, and I'm also a firm believer in swings & roundabouts over a season, because I've seen plenty of games where we've got away with a lot that the other team has been punished for.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They are not, you are contradicting yourself from your first post, they are reffing as they do in the prem, its just your used to a poorer ref from the championship for most games of the season. Like someone just said if you had managed to get a few more shots on targets (and converted them) today this would not have been posted its not the ref that set your team up to play like that today

We'll have to disagree then. I'm not used to poorer refs as I watch Premier League games all the time. They apply a different tolerance threshold in lower division games.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The time keeping needs looked at today. Goldson was on the sideline for three minutes alone, yet only two minutes injury time first half. Second half you had Derby taking forever to stop celebrating their goal, the head injury to rosenior, the non-injury by the player who avoided a yellow for a foul, the ref told Carson to hurry almost every time he had a dead ball, and their players took forever to leave the pitch for substitutions, yet only four minutes in the second half.

Yes, four miutes was an absolute joke. Five subs, injuries, massive time-wasting. Who knows what would have happened with another minute or two......

I really don't understand how added time is calculated. Yet another 'random' element in the game that can have a huge effect on a result.

Steve in Japan

May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I'd like to watch the highlights but 2 things stick in my mind.

1. 4 minutes was a joke, I agree, and even stranger I think less than that was actually played.

2. Christie was shown a huge amount of leniency and Dunk got SFA. Ref couldn't wait to get the red card out.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I thought he had a good game. I can understand the issue of injury time in both halves, but better than most that I've seen this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here