Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The pressure is off now...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Erm the total opposite surely?

We HAVE to win. They can play keep ball.

The pressure is ON.
If we had won today then I think the pressure would have been far far worse next Saturday....the top two come Saturday will feel it more and Boro will really feel it as they expect it while we don't.

Yes but we do score goals and there's only so much keep ball you can do for 90 mins although karanka will surely put the side out to win.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Totally agree.
Underdogs again.
No-one will expect Boro to lose on Saturday and that's the way we like it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The pressure is off now...

Really? I hadn't noticed that we'd already lost our chance of automatic promotion.

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Huge pressure at Riverside for both teams and supporters. It`s a winner takes £200m game. Loser has approx a one in three chance ( us or Boro would be favourites). Hope I`m wrong but I can see cards galore and a very tetchy game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All about the first goal isn't it? Definitely a big blow not to be able to take a draw - but, hey, it's the same in Cup Finals. And this is just a Cup Final. Stranger things have happened.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm fairly sure that that's what happened to us in the second half today.
Such an odd turn about.

For the first time in months the Albion looked like 11 strangers having a kick about.

Anything above and beyond 'kicking the ball to my team-mate next to me' failed miserably.
Even then, that seemed somewhat arduous for some.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
If we had won today then I think the pressure would have been far far worse next Saturday....the top two come Saturday will feel it more and Boro will really feel it as they expect it while we don't.

Yes but we do score goals and there's only so much keep ball you can do for 90 mins although karanka will surely put the side out to win.
I could well be clutching at straws but I sort of see the logic in this. After all, what are we REALLY shit at? I'm mean, really really bad at? It's trying to hold on. How many times this season have we seen us go into our shells to try and protect what we have? Going to Boro needing a draw would see 95 minutes of that, with possibly the usual result. At least we KNOW we've got to score - and then we'll possibly only have about 20 minutes of desperate heart-in-mouth defending to do.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Just go to Boro and let them all get stressed as they will I'm sure....Huge pressure at the riverside may well go in our favour.
:clap2::clap2:

It's kind of funny really as if we won today then no doubt we'd have set up for a draw and similar to Cardiff away with an 4-5-1 system where it back fired and have gone 4-4-2 since but now we've got to throw the kitchen sink at it next weekend which is a good thing.

Middlesbrough will be thinking a draw and we're up so will they be defensive trying to gain the magic point or go out assault trying to get all the points?

I really believe today result is to our advantage.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Erm the total opposite surely?

We HAVE to win. They can play keep ball.

The pressure is ON.
The pressure is on them though as everybody's expecting them to win, so the OP is correct in that it is off us to a large extent.

But hey, what do I know? I'm the bloke who said now was a great time to play Derby as their minds would be on the play-offs ...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Plus, both teams can still win the league. If, and it's a BIG if, Burnley lost to Charlton the winner of Boro and Brighton would win the league and who wouldn't want that? Pressure is on them to deliver a good last game in front of their fans and, as of late, they've been underperforming. We've got to go there with a positive attitude and take the game to them. UTA.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's kind of funny really as if we won today then no doubt we'd have set up for a draw and similar to Cardiff away with an 4-5-1 system where it back fired and have gone 4-4-2 since but now we've got to throw the kitchen sink at it next weekend which is a good thing.

Middlesbrough will be thinking a draw and we're up so will they be defensive trying to gain the magic point or go out assault trying to get all the points?

I really believe today result is to our advantage.
Absolutely
I also believe the pressure on the players and supporters has dropped rapidly now with no real expectations which may well be a massive boost as like I said Boro will be shaking in their boots as will karanka.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Personally think we might well be edged out on Goal Difference....However...

The pressure is seemingly on us at the moment...It depends which Albion team turns up..we are more than capable of seeing a classic 1 Nill Away win from the Seagulls,we also have to brace ourselves for the heaviest defeat of the season,especially if Boro excel and score early,our heads could drop and we could be thrashed out of sight..

How do we approach the game? I would like to think we keep things tight and aim to get to the break on level terms.

I would however not want to be a Boro fan if things are level with 20 minutes to go and this is where i think the pressure then swings in our favour,imagine if we had the points today? would we be wanting to hold on for those last 20 minutes?

Perhaps others are right and today,was merely a result of the players knowing deep down that the only real result that matters is the Boro game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Love to be wrong but the pressure is on more in the next game than it has been all season. Win we go up, otherwise we go into the playoffs on a massive downer. How much pressure is that?

A very late goal is the only way that I can see us winning this game because as soon as we score we will defend for the rest of the game and Boro have too much quality for us to get away with that IMO.

Whatever happens we have had a great season, let nothing take that thought away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here