Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dubai excursions ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Just booked to go Dubai at the end of the month and fancy the 4x4 ride into the desert, anyone done this and got any recommendation of which company to use and any other things to whist there?

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Friend of mine loves out there, took me for a 4x4 in the dessert followed by camping next to an oasis. Was one of the best things I've ever done!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
It's called 'Wadi Bashing' - I did this many moons ago, it's a great laugh. My ex- girlfriend and I did one that was late in the day and they put on a party afterwards with music, tradition dance and local food.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just booked to go Dubai at the end of the month and fancy the 4x4 ride into the desert, anyone done this and got any recommendation of which company to use and any other things to whist there?

I've been out here for 12 years now.

Desert Drive experience. Similar to wadi bashing...except you get the chance to drive the 4x4 rather than taking a back seat. So much better.

I'll pm you and put you in touch with my contact at Off Road Zone who are the best out here for that.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I once drove into the desert out there without meaning to.I was only meant to be gone 10 minutes to go get some petrol and got a little lost.
I ended up travelling along a road out of Dubai for around 1 hour 20mins going from light to dark and had to wait that long before I hit a roundabout that allowed me to do a U turn and get back to where I should have been.

It wasn't nice.

I'm a little out of touch with what to do out there as I haven't been for a while.Took a few trips out there and still take an interest in what's happening.

Dubai has lots of plush bars and clubs and you'll feel like a VIP. Budha Bar in the Marina is a must.Try the Madinat,Burj Khalifa,Dubai Mall,Water Parks,Indoor Skiing at
Mall of the Emirates.Burj Dubai for a taste of old Dubai and a little culture.Go for a drink at the bar on the 44th floor I think it is at the Burj Al Arab(hotel looks like a sail)

Take Taxis.They are cheap.Don't hire a car because out there is the worst and most dangerous driving I have seen.

Dubai is fabulous.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dubai has lots of plush bars and clubs and you'll feel like a VIP. Budha Bar in the Marina is a must.Try the Madinat,Burj Khalifa,Dubai Mall,Water Parks,Indoor Skiing at
Mall of the Emirates.Burj Dubai for a taste of old Dubai and a little culture.Go for a drink at the bar on the 44th floor I think it is at the Burj Al Arab(hotel looks like a sail)

Take Taxis.They are cheap.Don't hire a car because out there is the worst and most dangerous driving I have seen.

Wouldn't disagree with any of this. I've seen someone move across all 7 lanes of SZR (Sheikh Zayed Road) in one go without indicating.

That said, it has improved in recent years and, like most things, it does get easier with time, practice, patience and a wry sense of humour.

Taxis are very cheap, so yes, I'd definitely take them if I wasn't driving. Metro very easy and cheap too.

Hiring a driver for a day is a decent option in order to get around the sights painlessly, but the Open Top Bus tour is probably the best valuroe away from the Metro.

Temperature-wise, it's warming up here now, but the end of May will be a lot easier than July and August.

Don't forget the sunglasses...

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Forgot about the Metro.It wasn't built last time I was there but from the photos I can see it looks amazing.

What area of Dubai are in in Hart's Shirt?

Is the Concorde club still open not that I'd recommend it to anyone?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Forgot about the Metro.It wasn't built last time I was there but from the photos I can see it looks amazing.

What area of Dubai are in in Hart's Shirt?

Is the Concorde club still open not that I'd recommend it to anyone?

I live and work in the Dubai Knowledge Village area - 5 minutes from Palm Jumeirah / Mall of Emirates.

You're spot on with the Buddha Bar which is in the Grosvenor House, Dubai Marina. Swanky.

The Concorde is still here! And yes, I'd echo your feelings there.

Rob McCaffrey (ex-SKY, now BeIN Sports) runs the Tuesday Quiz Night at the Movenpick, JBR.

A Liverpool fan, Rob really wants the Albion to go up with Burnley. Let's see if he gets his wish...

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Funny you should mention Rob M as I saw him in the Budha Bar around 2007.

I have great memories of Dubai.My little boy's mum was a purser for Emirates and lived in Bur Dubai then Arabian Ranches where I stayed with her.
I haven't been since 2007 but I really need to go back.I also put a bit of money into Silicon Oasis so I keep up with what's happening out there.

Hope you're enjoying the Sun because here we still seem to be having winter temperatures.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Funny you should mention Rob M as I saw him in the Budha Bar around 2007.

I have great memories of Dubai.My little boy's mum was a purser for Emirates and lived in Bur Dubai then Arabian Ranches where I stayed with her.
I haven't been since 2007 but I really need to go back.I also put a bit of money into Silicon Oasis so I keep up with what's happening out there.

Hope you're enjoying the Sun because here we still seem to be having winter temperatures.

Rob's doing well. Both of his boys are mad on cricket - George is a coach at the ICC and has turned out for Durham, Joe is 12 and made his international debut for Hungary a few weeks back as he qualified with Rob's wife being a former Hungarian national javelin champion! Youngest ever international cricketer. And his middle name is Puskas!

We have a lot of clients from the Arabian Ranches as it's about 15 minutes away up the Um Suqueim Road. Silicon Oasis has always been popular with Emirates crew - plenty of new schools being built up in and around there.

Let me know when you're planning to head back. Always happy to look out for Albion fans visiting here - extended football family and all that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here