• Dunk / Goldson

Votes: 102 94.4%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A question that came to mind watching Tommy Elphick's bro' playing for Worthing yesterday afternoon.

Which centre-back partnership would you choose to have right now?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Tough one. Right now, Cook and Elphick, but in 2 years time on the current trajectory then Dunk and Goldson. Goldson is going to be a future England international in my opinion. We're incredibly lucky to have him.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would have Elphick and Goldson, Dunk on the bench

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good question, some stats. from soccerbase

Cook and Elphick have started together just 9 times this season 2 wins 1 draw 6 defeats. the 33 games where they didn't start yielded 12 wins 8 draws and 13 defeats.

since 29th December Rotherham away (shudder) was the only match Goldson and Dunk didn't start together. 13 wins 4 draws, 4 defeats. Without both 12 wins 11 draws, 3 defeats

very happy with our CB pairing

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Cook and Elphick have started together just 9 times this season 2 wins 1 draw 6 defeats. the 33 games where they didn't start yielded 12 wins 8 draws and 13 defeats.

since 29th December Rotherham away (shudder) was the only match Goldson and Dunk didn't start together. 13 wins 4 draws, 4 defeats. Without both 12 wins 11 draws, 3 defeats

Stats can be great but you also have to figure in level of opposition being played against. Hopefully next season we'll get to see how Dunk and Goldson fair when coming up against strikers like Aguero, Kane and Costa.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Difficult choice but as they are performing I think I would stick with Dunk and Goldson for the last 2 games rather than disrupt the team. That is not to say they are better just better for us at the moment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Love Tommy - he's a top fella but he's a way behind the other 3 IMO...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting poll but as this is an Albion forum the winners are a given.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I was only thinking the other day if a big bid came in for Dunk or probably more so Connor Goldson would Tommy be interested in coming back? Would CH be interested in getting him back?
Would Bournemouth be likely to want to ship out the captain of the most successful side in their history (even if he's not always first choice)? Probably the more relevant question, to which the answer is almost definitely no.

As for the original topic, wouldn't say there's much to separate Cook, Goldson and Dunk ability wise - all naturally gifted footballers. Elphick a little way behind on that front, albeit has clearly adapted and evolved his game excellently at a higher level - and has the undoubted experience and leadership qualities over the others.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would Bournemouth be likely to want to ship out the captain of the most successful side in their history (even if he's not always first choice)? Probably the more relevant question, to which the answer is almost definitely no.

As for the original topic, wouldn't say there's much to separate Cook, Goldson and Dunk ability wise - all naturally gifted footballers. Elphick a little way behind on that front, albeit has clearly adapted and evolved his game excellently at a higher level - and has the undoubted experience and leadership qualities over the others.

If it was us interested the answer would be no but if another championship team I think they would if the price was right.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Elphick has missed games with a bad ankle injury, not because he wasn't first choice.

Dec 29, 2011
I'd probably go for the two playing in the Premier League. Dunk and Goldson will probably be better in a few years though.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Elphick has missed games with a bad ankle injury, not because he wasn't first choice.
Was on the bench for 5+ games through late Feb - early April, although yes would've been in part them easing him back from that long injury layoff.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Of the 4 Elphick is the weakest one, and also seems to injury prone now.

The other interesting issue is where does Uwe stand once he is fully fit given the form of Dunk and Goldson

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Of the 4 Elphick is the weakest one, and also seems to injury prone now.

The other interesting issue is where does Uwe stand once he is fully fit given the form of Dunk and Goldson

He's had two major injuries. One with us at Notts County and one with Bournemouth. That isn't injury prone.

Uwe can go on the bench as I suspect Greer is coming to the end of his career.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess a couple of Bournemouth fans have stumbled across this thread :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here