Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third place and playoffs

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
So the third placed team ends up in the lottery of the playoffs despite often having a much better record than the other three teams. To give them an advantaged to reward coming third why not have fourth to seventh place playoff and the winner meet the third placed side in a Wembley final? Simples!
(Await post pointing me to this idea proposed in countless other threads!!!)

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
So the third placed team ends up in the lottery of the playoffs despite often having a much better record than the other three teams. To give them an advantaged to reward coming third why not have fourth to seventh place playoff and the winner meet the third placed side in a Wembley final? Simples!

This is exactly what I suggested to a friend earlier. Although did we even think of this as an option when we finished 6th?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I believe that in Scotland, 5th would play 4th. The winner of that plays 3rd, and the winner of that plays the lowest team not automatically relegated in the Premier. So the higher ranked teams do get an advantage there.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Wednesday just announced they are selling tickets for their home tie now!...they don't even know what date it will be yet

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Wednesday just announced they are selling tickets for their home tie now!...they don't even know what date it will be yet

They are obviously confident that Derby will secure the point they need on Monday to confirm Wednesday in 6th.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Would this not disadvantage the team finishing 3rd, as they would have to rest and just train while they await the two legged play-off 1st round, and presumably a two legged play-off 2nd round before the final. Therefore the team finishing 3rd while being rested would have lost some of their match sharpness which could be costly in a one off final.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I believe that in Scotland, 5th would play 4th. The winner of that plays 3rd, and the winner of that plays the lowest team not automatically relegated in the Premier. So the higher ranked teams do get an advantage there.

Thats right and a good way to do it . About the only thing i think the scottish F.A have got right cause the football isnt all that .

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
We don't need 2 games each.

Match 1: 3rd (Home) Vs 6th (Away)
Match 2: 4th (Home) Vs 5th (Away)

Winner of Match 1 plays Winner of Match 2 at Wembley.

Nice. Simple, like it. Would never be bought in though as wouldn't generate as much money as current format does from TV rights etc.

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Would this not disadvantage the team finishing 3rd, as they would have to rest and just train while they await the two legged play-off 1st round, and presumably a two legged play-off 2nd round before the final. Therefore the team finishing 3rd while being rested would have lost some of their match sharpness which could be costly in a one off final.

I'm told that is a great debate in USA where many sides with more wins wait to see which lower side wins. Those with more knowledge of the MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL can give their opinion on.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Something should change though as there is no significant advantage to the teams finishing third and fourth. Playing the home leg second may have previously been an advantage but isn't in today's football philosophy.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We don't need 2 games each.

Match 1: 3rd (Home) Vs 6th (Away)
Match 2: 4th (Home) Vs 5th (Away)

Winner of Match 1 plays Winner of Match 2 at Wembley.
Highest placed team plays at home in the final.

Wembley fixture changed to 1st v 2nd for divisional glory.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I didn't complain 2 or 3 seasons ago so it would be childish of me to complain this season but..............

WE ARE MILES AHEAD AND IT JUST ISN'T FAIR. MUMMY.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here