Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Expansion - Is this possible?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
After the Boro game last night one of the five live pundits Steve Claridge mentioned (while being extremely positive about BHA) that Tony Bloom could add another tier onto one of the Amex stands to expand the stadium. Is this True? I can’t see how unless the east stand had another one added on top, there is a bit of land behind it so might be possible. Has anyone ever heard about this or is it the usual waffle from ill-informed pundits? He’s actually one of the few pundits I don’t hate.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
waffle_round.jpg

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
After the Boro game last night one of the five live pundits Steve Claridge mentioned (while being extremely positive about BHA) that Tony Bloom could add another tier onto one of the Amex stands to expand the stadium. Is this True? I can’t see how unless the east stand had another one added on top, there is a bit of land behind it so might be possible. Has anyone ever heard about this or is it the usual waffle from ill-informed pundits? He’s actually one of the few pundits I don’t hate.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?337279-Will-the-AMEX-be-EXTENDED-if-we-go-UP

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We Have been near the top of the league all season & yet out of 23 home games we have only sold out twice.
Why do we need to expand the capacity?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
We Have been near the top of the league all season & yet out of 23 home games we have only sold out twice.
Why do we need to expand the capacity?

There'd obviously be a much higher demand for tickets for most Premier League games at the Amex.
If we go up, I imagine we'd fill 30k seats for half our home games and rarely drop below 28k.
There might be 4 or 5 games which leave 3-5k without a ticket (potential for a 35k crowd).

So expanding by 5k for an extra 5 games per season = 25k Max tickets sold in 1 season (£875k based on a £35 ticket).
High chance we'll only be up there for 1-2 seasons, so the investment (likely into the £millions) wouldn't be worth the return.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There'd obviously be a much higher demand for tickets for most Premier League games at the Amex.

High chance we'll only be up there for 1-2 seasons, so the investment (likely into the £millions) wouldn't be worth the return.

High demand for the first season. After that the casual fan will drop away because we're losing more than winning. When we get relegated again, the numbers will drop again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be good if the extra tier was already built and stored elsewhere, perhaps under the Southwick tunnel.

Then hauled out and chinocked into place for the big games, before returning to storage when not needed.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Manchester City couldn't because of how the roof was supported but the owners are adding another 14k behind the goals. Nothing is impossible.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I seem to remember a figure of £7m to remove the roof and support the current structure which would enable any further developments. Limiting any future expansions to a few extra seats. Maybe a few could be added into the North East corner and the South East corner plus maybe a few more at the back of the west upper but beyond that I cannot imagine any other expansions will be worth the initial outlay.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
High demand for the first season. After that the casual fan will drop away because we're losing more than winning. When we get relegated again, the numbers will drop again.
Since when do fans disappear from premiership matches?

When promoted you will get 10/15k extra fans appear and I agreed about if you get relegated as you'll lose a lot of the casual support.
Most championship clubs lose about 10k supporters when relegated

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Since when do fans disappear from premiership matches?

When promoted you will get 10/15k extra fans appear and I agreed about if you get relegated as you'll lose a lot of the casual support.
Most championship clubs lose about 10k supporters when relegated

Mike Bailey kept us up with 1-0 wins, and draws. After the first season, fans started moaning about it. In the Premier League, the target is 40 points.
Casual fans enjoy watching winning teams, not defensive teams. Attendances drop off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here