Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

19 Years On

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My brother has just made the comparison with our situation nearly two decades ago.

On the morning of 26th April 1997 we were bottom of the league and due to play our last game at the Goldstone. A home win that day moved us above our rivals for the first time and meant that an away draw on 3rd May would be enough for survival.

Last night's result means that the same results, a home win to move in front and an away draw to stay there would this time lead to the opposite of what we wanted in 1997: Us leaving the football league.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's just occurred to me that this is (I think) my 30th season of watching the Albion, and this will be the highest position I've ever seen them finish :ohmy:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's just occurred to me that this is (I think) my 30th season of watching the Albion, and this will be the highest position I've ever seen them finish :ohmy:

When you think about it, that's not that surprising. In 115 years we have finished higher than our current position in only five seasons and we could still catch 1978/79. Regardless of how this year finishes, as Brighton fans we live in rare and special times.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Kind of happy to be of the era of the Mullers 70s days, then I remember I'm 51!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

That just made me check my first game. 6th March 1976 (won 5-0 v Peterborough) so I missed my 40th anniversary last month!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When you think about it, that's not that surprising. In 115 years we have finished higher than our current position in only five seasons and we could still catch 1978/79. Regardless of how this year finishes, as Brighton fans we live in rare and special times.

The only surprising thing about it is the fact that we're going to do it this season, after everything that went on last time around :)

Having just checked, I seem to have seen (at least part of) 14 seasons in the second tier, twelve in the third, and five in the basement. Five relegations, five promotions, & three play off defeats (one in the final, two in the semis). Highest finish prior to this season was the Poyet side who were fourth, and before that Chris Cattlin's team in 10th. And we've lost in the first round of the League Cup seventeen times, which doesn't surprise me in the least :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Same for me, but I'm amazed that's only just occurred to you, it's been in my mind a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here