Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Claridge: 'Ref's decision could cost Boro promotion'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This quote illustrates one of my bug bears in football.

It wasn't the referee's decision to give offside, but his assistant. It's always the assistant. I'm not sure I've ever seen a referee refuse to give a free-kick when an offside flag is raised, simply because he disagrees. A referee is rarely (possibly never) well-placed to decide whether a player is off-side or not.

Calling off-side is the primary purpose of the assistants.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Conceding two goals could cost Boro promotion.

Burnley had a ghost goal at Brighton disallowed which could cost them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It evens itself out over a season

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think the lino got it right.
The Sky mob all called it wrong, but if you take into account the camera angle, Ayala was flagged after checking and coming back one step before
taking the shot.
Look at the grass cut and he was a IMHO ahead of the defender and the two Boro players tha Sky said he was behind.
Anybody got a screen shot of the Sky still from after the match, if so lok at the angle compared to the linos position.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think the lino got it right.
The Sky mob all called it wrong, but if you take into account the camera angle, Ayala was flagged after checking and coming back one step before
taking the shot.
Look at the grass cut and he was a IMHO ahead of the defender and the two Boro players tha Sky said he was behind.
Anybody got a screen shot of the Sky still from after the match, if so lok at the angle compared to the linos position.
I was too pissed to judge at the time, but this is good to hear.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
thought Claridge showed his biased side last night, from what I heard......even moaning about the half-time sandwiches and chips in the press room.....wonder what they offer at his Salisbury City !!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I kind of agree. Yeah it evens out and all that over a season but
It was never off side, no ways
He wasn't even the last man was he?
Flag seemed well late

I'd be fuming if I was boro, and then nearly breaking the crossbar. Couldnt believe it when that flag went up!!

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I've often found claridge to be one of the worst presenters/pundits of all time,how he gets paid work is beyond belief!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It should read: "Jordan Rhodes' inability to convert easy chances despite costing £9 Million could cost Boro promotion"

But yeah I get your point.
*£9million Brighton fans their bets..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I kind of agree. Yeah it evens out and all that over a season but
It was never off side, no ways
He wasn't even the last man was he?
Flag seemed well late

I'd be fuming if I was boro, and then nearly breaking the crossbar. Couldnt believe it when that flag went up!!

He was offside when the original free kick was taken, but not interfering with play. The flag was late.
The Birmingham keeper palmed the shot onto the crossbar so it was a great save. He had already gifted them a goal, so that evened itself out.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
He was offside when the original free kick was taken, but not interfering with play. The flag was late.
The Birmingham keeper palmed the shot onto the crossbar so it was a great save. He had already gifted them a goal, so that evened itself out.

Fair do's. If that was us though I'd feel fecking robbed!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I wonder how long it will be before we see a club attempting legal action on an official. Not after a game like last night, but say that had happened in the last minute of the play-off final, arguably depriving the club of millions.......

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Its just lazy reporting one ref or lineo won't define a season, the combination of 46 x 90 min will do it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All 3 clubs at the top I am sure could point to many incidents through the course of the season which alter the fate of which two get promoted. At the end of the day the one which misses out can only point to one of 3 things

1. They did not get as many points as the other two

2. Their goal difference was inferior to the other two

3. They did not score as many goals as the other two

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here