Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soccerball rules question

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Imagine we get a throw in (wild, I know).

Is there anything in the rules that would prevent a player (or two, or three) lifting a team-mate up in the air "rugby line-out" style in order to flick the ball on ? I don't reckon there is, and I think we should TRY it on Monday.

Bruno gets a throw adjacent to the penalty area and lobs in into the box. Hemed, and Stephens hoist Baldock up at the near post for an unchallenged aerial flick-on, Knocky steams in at the far post and SMACKS it home. Derby players are frozen there, dumbstruck, appealing to the ref in full-on WTF ?? mode - but there's no foul. We've done nothing against the rules.

Lets do it. It'd be legendary.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Is there anything in the rules that would prevent a player (or two, or three) lifting a team-mate up in the air "rugby line-out" style in order to flick the ball on ? I don't reckon there is, and I think we should TRY it on Monday.

Bruno gets a throw adjacent to the penalty area and lobs in into the box. Hemed, and Stephens hoist Baldock up at the near post for an unchallenged aerial flick-on, Knocky steams in at the far post and SMACKS it home. Derby players are frozen there, dumbstruck, appealing to the ref in full-on WTF ?? mode - but there's no foul. We've done nothing against the rules.

EDIT - mis-read the question!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
In America - if you care what they think - this is listed as an example of Unsporting Behaviour in their referees' guide. Assuming the same applies over here, Hemed & Stephens would find themselves booked and the Albion with no goal.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
How's about, the ball goes through to Stockers: He shuvs it up his jumper, runs the length of the pitch in the middle of a scrum/huddle from the other guys and runs not just into the goal up the other end but right through it?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What if say Hemed gets the ball, and rest of the Albion team encircle him with arms locked.

They then move as one towards the opposition goal, the oppo cant tackle Hemed without manhandling part of the circle to get at him.

If they do then fee kick and carry on/continue with encirclement tactic.

Could work.....???

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What if say Hemed gets the ball, and rest of the Albion team encircle him with arms locked.

They then move as one towards the opposition goal, the oppo cant tackle Hemed without manhandling part of the circle to get at him.

If they do then fee kick and carry on/continue with encirclement tactic.

Could work.....???

Obstruction surely?

Dec 29, 2011

What about for a corner? Loft a high ball in and get Kayal to lift Hemed up to head it home.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Obstruction surely?

A player doesn't have to move out of the way so the oppo can tackle his team mate. Its his ground.

Just like the oppo could have 11 men on the line blocking the goal for 90 minutes if they wanted too.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
A bit like Arsenal do here at the 2:00 point but with the ball carrier totally surrounded.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Creative thinking outside the box, or maybe in it?

Otago_Dancers_human_pyramid_2.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A player doesn't have to move out of the way so the oppo can tackle his team mate. Its his ground.

Just like the oppo could have 11 men on the line blocking the goal for 90 minutes if they wanted too.

But in this scenario, the players would be moving with the intent of blocking opponents from getting to Hemed, not simply 'standing their ground'.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
But in this scenario, the players would be moving with the intent of blocking opponents from getting to Hemed, not simply 'standing their ground'.

But they wouldn't be making a direct move to block a player, they would just be moving forward. No different if they were running forward singularly as usual.

The oppo would have to go round a player but as theres no entrance to the circle he cant get in, and no one in the circle is making a direct move to block him either.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think it would fall under unsporting behaviour and the goal would be disallowed.

I seem to recall Match of the Day highlighting this many many years ago when Gordon McQueen had a goal disallowed for using a teammate for leverage

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
How is that ungentlemanly ?

I'd call it INVENTIVE. Maybe even AUDACIOUS.
I thought rugby was the gentleman's game? If so this is probably the most gentlemanly act possible, apart from unmentionable high jinks and songs about the queen.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What about if Kayal squeezed the ball tight, high and tight between his thighs and hopped all the way into the oppositions goal net.

They couldn't kick it out of his thighs as it would be a studs showing high tackle. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here