Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turning Sussex blue & white again

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I see via social media today that the city of Leicester (and the wider county) is unsurprisingly buying into their fantastic story, with shops, businesses, the council, schools and so on all displaying their colours (check out #BackingTheBlues for evidence).

Can't help but feel it would be great for Sussex to show similar backing for the Albion. Our success this season isn't too dissimilar to theirs, and the players and staff deserve every plaudit that's come their way.

I know our part of the world hasn't exactly been a hotbed of football over the years, but equally, it's no Milton Keynes; there are many thousands of people in this county and beyond who'd be absolutely over the moon to see the Albion go up, and this is the best opportunity we've had in a long time. I can't be the only one who'd love to see banners, flags and so on all around the place, and get the city and wider area really into the spirit.

I'm a bit surprised the Argus hasn't climbed on to some sort of campaign, frankly. I know the club are quite keen, and have encouraged public displays of Albion allegiance via Twitter. Be great to pick it up a bit. Get the city/ county blue and white again. After all...aren't we #together?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Maybe a bit early yet? I'd hope that by the time the Boro game comes round we might see a bit of support.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Would be very surprised if AmEx didn't jump on board for something like that

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Would be very surprised if AmEx didn't jump on board for something like that

Maybe. I'm not saying it needs to be a commercial or local authority organised thing. I remember somebody from the Albion once said to me that they'd love to have the lamp post banners in the city centre changed temporarily to an Albion theme, but they're vastly expensive. I've seen that happen in Crawley previously for their football team, but then again it's probably a lot cheaper to do it there :lolol:

Agreed it doesn't necessarily need to be right NOW, but, you know, if we're heading to Boro next week with a real chance of promotion, it would be great to have the local area really buying into it and (in particular) for the players to see how much people are on board as they leave to travel north.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My secretary said there IS an argus campaign and all school kids today in the city are wearing blue and white? Not seen anything on the argus website though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Carden school is proudly flying the Albion flag from their flagpole this morning !

I've seen that before actually, I'm in Carden Avenue quite regularly and I think they do it a lot. Always brings a smile to my face. There's a house near the bottom end of Carden Avenue that always has an Albion flag on a flagpole too :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Albion themselves started a campaign for this, although they asked for the city, not the county...

[tweet]724904648121966592[/tweet]

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I know the Kids have a blue and white uniform day today and I heard on the radio that hove town hall is flying albion flags as well today. Hopefully the whole county gets involved in this and we have a sea of blue and white for the next 8 days.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It may be just me, but it's only in the last couple of weeks that I've started to realise that we could ACTUALLY be playing in the prem next season. A bit like Leicester I've been rather expecting us to fall away a little, but it's never come. I thought we might be top-half this year, but didn't really expect to challenge for a p/o place, so really happy with what we've done.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
I've seen that before actually, I'm in Carden Avenue quite regularly and I think they do it a lot. Always brings a smile to my face. There's a house near the bottom end of Carden Avenue that always has an Albion flag on a flagpole too :)

yes I know that house you are talking about :) be great if we saw a few more Albion flags flying in the next 8 days ---and then hopefully all summer long

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm going to refrain up here in Crawley, I quite like my windows in one piece. I'll just drive around the town with my BHA number plates, although that's flying a little close to the wind too!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Evidence of the council flag-flying (thanks to a keen-eyed local Boro fan :lolol: )

[tweet]725418691010121729[/tweet]

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
We should be flying the Albion Flag off the top of the I360 too !!! this needs to happen before next weekend

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
We should be flying the Albion Flag off the top of the I360 too !!! this needs to happen before next weekend

Ha, will anybody actually be able to see it from up there? It's a bit high. I suspect that in order to achieve this, you'd need to have a few friends who were (a) proficient base jumpers, and (b) have no fear of arrest :)

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Ha, will anybody actually be able to see it from up there? It's a bit high. I suspect that in order to achieve this, you'd need to have a few friends who were (a) proficient base jumpers, and (b) have no fear of arrest :)
Portsmouth had a flag on the spinnaker when they cheated their way to the cup final - it would be a pretty impressive erection !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here