Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

... and Brighton keep on grinding out the results.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apologies if this is fixtures but I have read that piece on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36131350

Now, I am not trying to be a precious Brighton fan here, I happen to like articles like this. But how can this Paul Addison (BBC Tees) get that so completely wrong? I know there is wishful thinking on all sides but that beggars belief.

Both Boro and Burnley have had last minute, even last kick reprieves in recent games whilst we've done pretty ok with 5-0, 4-0 and 1-3 results.

Seriously Mr Addison, that is hardly 'grinding'.

For those unable to view;

View from the commentary box - Paul Addison, BBC Tees:
"Middlesbrough never make it easy for themselves - it's just not part of the deal.
"Boro remain in a terrific position as the race for the Premier League goes down to the wire, but Burnley and Brighton keep on grinding out the results.
"Last season's play-off heartache is fresh in the minds of the Boro faithful, and a lot of fans I've spoken to fear a repeat of it if they miss out on a place in the top two.
"But the fact remains that if they win their last two they're up - and that's got to be the aim."

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Now, I am not trying to be a precious Brighton fan here, I happen to like articles like this. But how can this Paul Addison (BBC Tees) get that so completely wrong? I know there is wishful thinking on all sides but that beggars belief.

Both Boro and Burnley have had last minute, even last kick reprieves in recent games whilst we've done pretty ok with 5-0, 4-0 and 1-3 results.

"Middlesbrough never make it easy for themselves - it's just not part of the deal.
"Boro remain in a terrific position as the race for the Premier League goes down to the wire, but Burnley and Brighton keep on grinding out the results.
"Last season's play-off heartache is fresh in the minds of the Boro faithful, and a lot of fans I've spoken to fear a repeat of it if they miss out on a place in the top two.
"But the fact remains that if they win their last two they're up - and that's got to be the aim."
What a plonker and clearly doesn't look at the results as Boro and Burnley have been scraping the barrel at a good effect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Has it dawned on him that the last sentence applies to all three teams?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I enjoyed Paul Ince's insights on Sky today.

Boro are gonna do it because they are not playing well and getting last minute goals not like Brighton who are winning 4 and 5's?

He may of course be right but what a plumb.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you're talking about the last 3 games then no, obviously... But in general over the course of the season I'd say that is pretty true. How many games we've won by 1 goal says it all!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Talking about playoff heartbreak, has any team EVER suffered a heartbreak as big as ours against Palace

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Good keeps us under the radar and he will join Chesterfield fans, Bristol City fans and Nigel Adkins for a slice of humble pie!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good keeps us under the radar and he will join Chesterfield fans, Bristol City fans and Nigel Adkins for a slice of humble pie!

You forgot Pardew at Reading

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see "grinding out the results" as being in any way disparaging. It doesn't necessarily mean we're scraping wins, more that we have been remorselessly consistent and just won't go away. We keep winning, which is as annoying to them as it is to us when they chisel out another 3 points.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you're talking about the last 3 games then no, obviously... But in general over the course of the season I'd say that is pretty true. How many games we've won by 1 goal says it all!

He hasn't made that clear and I guessed someone would use that (valid) argument, but I wouldn't suggest for one moment that Burnley have been grinding all season, hence I assumed he meant over the recent period, where he has quite blatantly missed out Boro's scrapes.

el punal

In truth, it doesn't matter how many last minute goals have been scored, how many results have been ground out, or how many 4-0 thrashings have been dealt out. What matters now is there is a mini - league of two games involving three teams.

The whole season comes down to the next 180 minutes of football. It's basically the play-offs before the play-offs. Frightening, isn't it!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't see "grinding out the results" as being in any way disparaging. It doesn't necessarily mean we're scraping wins, more that we have been remorselessly consistent and just won't go away. We keep winning, which is as annoying to them as it is to us when they chisel out another 3 points.

I guess it's open to interpretation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In truth, it doesn't matter how many last minute goals have been scored, how many results have been ground out, or how many 4-0 thrashings have been dealt out. What matters now is there is a mini - league of two games involving three teams.

The whole season comes down to the next 180 minutes of football. It's basically the play-offs before the play-offs. Frightening, isn't it!

Five games. But yes, agreed.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Days top of the Table - 8 Aug - 28 April

Brighton .... 85 (32%)
Hull ........... 55 (21%)
Boro ......... 53 (21%)
Burnley .... 51 (19%)
Ipswich .... 11 (4%)
MK Dons ... 7 (3%)
Derby ........ 3 (1%)
Total ....... 265

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Despite our unbeaten run, we might have been the last team in the division to win a game by more than one goal. Despite the single goal victories though, many of those games were comfortable victories that we should have won by more. I don't think we've particularly ground out results, although it is fair to say that Middlesbrough won plenty quite easily earlier in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here