Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Borough run in permutations

tafkaDG

Apr 27, 2016
In the light of the Argus article yesterday about different start times I knocked up a table summarising what some pretty likely outcomes from Friday & Monday might mean for our target on the final day. It is a big advantage to us that Boro play first. For instance if (please God) Boro were to lose by 2 goals at Birmingham, CH would know that a 2 goal margin of victory for us over Derby would be well worth playing for, but a 3 goal margin was unnecessary.
Can anyone let me know how to insert a small spreadsheet?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the light of the Argus article yesterday about different start times I knocked up a table summarising what some pretty likely outcomes from Friday & Monday might mean for our target on the final day. It is a big advantage to us that Boro play first. For instance if (please God) Boro were to lose by 2 goals at Birmingham, CH would know that a 2 goal margin of victory for us over Derby would be well worth playing for, but a 3 goal margin was unnecessary.

Best bet is to take a screen cap of the bit of the spreadsheet you want to use, and then upload as an image.

Or email it to me: bozza @ northstandchat.com and I'll do it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Even if we lose to derby by 1 goal and boro win by 1 goal (-4 goal difference) it's not impossible, we'd need 2 goals diff against boro as each goal we score against them is +1 for us and -1 for them, effectively double. We've scored more than them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Big advantage? I think not. Very very very slight advantage? Maybe, maybe not.

It's Derby who will have a say in how many goals we score on Monday, not Middlesbrough.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Straight out of "The School of Stating the Bleedin' Obvious" but the fewer goals we need to score at Boro the better. They have only conceded 7 goals at home ALL SEASON :eek:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Straight out of "The School of Stating the Bleedin' Obvious" but the fewer goals we need to score at Boro the better. They have only conceded 7 goals at home ALL SEASON :eek:

very true but pressure can do strange things..... and at home, 1 game from PL, its a cup final. All that went before is out the window

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

You saying they're due a shellacking then? :)

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

They haven't played anyone decent yet. :whistle:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here it is...

permutations.png

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Prediction League for the next five fixtures? Not my prerogative.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Nah, just wait 'til Monday evening.
We'll all know what's needed then.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Boro will have 3 days more rest & preparation than our players before the big game. I think that outweighs any advantage of knowing their result first.

Again though, it's pure speculation what impact this will have - they also have three days more worrying about it.

It does seem somewhat unfair though, given that we also have to spend one of those days travelling up there - so they really have four more days.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It does seem somewhat unfair though, given that we also have to spend one of those days travelling up there - so they really have four more days.

Surely Tony will fly the squad up on the Friday evening? Quick drive from Lancing to Shoreham, 1 hour (ish?) in the air and a short drive at the other end?

it's pure speculation what impact this will have - they also have three days more worrying about it.

This is true.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whatever the result on Friday, we will be trying to put as many past Derby as we can, whilst conceding none.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here