Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on B/H working.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Mrs LBG works nights in a care in Leek and her rota for this weekend is this. Sunday 9pm-7am and Monday 9pm-7am. When she asked about having earned a lieu day was told no,but a small hourly increase for the weekend. Advice please,to me she has earned a 'paid' day-off ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All depends on contract and employee handbook.

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Even NatWest are opening on Bank Holiday this time, so it looks like they're becoming less relevant.

Like the others have said, it depends on her contract. No-one's entitled to a day off just because it's a bank holiday.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Because of the nature of care being 24/7 365 most care jobs will require you to work bank holidays if your shift falls on that day. In which case the 8 annual bank holidays will already be built in to her annual leave entitlement.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Not always. Mine doesn't. Wouldn't expect it to for someone working in care either.

In care it absolutely normally does as care companies would have a big problem if employees exercised their rights to not work a bank holiday and they couldn't cover the care need. In many sectors a workforce can be scaled down or given the day off on a bank holiday however care is not like that. Contractually if an employee can't give the bank holidays off then the easiest way to get around this is to factor the bank holiday entitlement in to the employees overall annual leave allowance.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Pretty sure that the working time directive now states that one should get a minimum of 28 days holiday (if working a 40 hour week). If one works in an office environment and the office closed on bank holidays then 8 of those days are taken up by them. If one works in a business which is open as a bank holiday then one can be expected to work on a bank holiday and whilst they are no longer entitled to a "lieu day" they have not used one of their holidays so still have that day to take as an holiday day in the future.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I work shifts and bank holidays are worked as normal but we get overtime for hours worked at 2.5x hourly rate. On the old contract you could have 2.5x pay or 1.5x and a day in leiu.
There is no statutory entitlement for extra pay or time off.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
In care it absolutely normally does as care companies would have a big problem if employees exercised their rights to not work a bank holiday and they couldn't cover the care need. In many sectors a workforce can be scaled down or given the day off on a bank holiday however care is not like that. Contractually if an employee can't give the bank holidays off then the easiest way to get around this is to factor the bank holiday entitlement in to the employees overall annual leave allowance.

Or additional pay - as mine is. Which is why it's important for the op to find out what is his wife's contract.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
My wife is a nurse and she will be doing the same on Monday - no day off in lieu.

It is in the contract that she signed when she joined. She gets an unsociable hours increase but it isn't massive. It is, unfortunately, the value that we put on health professionals.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have staff who are contracted to work any given day, which includes weekends and bank holidays, due to the nature of the business, tourist trade. They DO get their holiday pay as set down by law but bank holidays and weekends are treated as just another day with no added wages or compensation. They know all of this though before starting work and it is clearly explained to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here