Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Are The Dingles?

el punal

This wonderful derogatory term seems to be used 'oop North' to describe a lesser, inferior rival team. In Yorkshire I believe it's aimed at Barnsley, and in Lancashire it's Burnley.

Forgive me if I'm not correct with the clubs in question, it probably got lost in translation when it was explained to me. That'll teach me for being a soft Southern Nancy boy!

Anyway, in our neck of the woods who would be best described as Dingles? :dunce:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This wonderful derogatory term seems to be used 'oop North' to describe a lesser, inferior rival team. In Yorkshire I believe it's aimed at Barnsley, and in Lancashire it's Burnley.

Forgive me if I'm not correct with the clubs in question, it probably got lost in translation when it was explained to me. That'll teach me for being a soft Southern Nancy boy!

Anyway, in our neck of the woods who would be best described as Dingles? :dunce:

They are the 'simple' family from Emmerdale I think..........I'll ask the Mrs when she gets in as she watches that shite.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are the 'simple' family from Emmerdale I think..........I'll ask the Mrs when she gets in as she watches that shite.

Yep - the Dingles are basically farm chavs, with borderline in-breeding issues.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The actor who plays Zack Dingle is a Burnley fan in real life and has been known to wear a Burnley scarf on the programme. I think that was why it started.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barnsley, Burnley and Wolves are all referred to as Dingles.

Bournemouth would be my choice as the Dingles of the south. I love the term.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Those Northeners have some odd expressions. Anyone on here heard of a Burnley Wallet or Burnley Purse? Does not sound like something to be experienced, is it something peculiar to Burnley?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnsley, Burnley and Wolves are all referred to as Dingles.

Bournemouth would be my choice as the Dingles of the south. I love the term.

I think YEOVIL would outdingle Bournemouth. Parts of Bournemouth (not Boscombe obviously) are quite genteel.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think YEOVIL would outdingle Bournemouth. Parts of Bournemouth (not Boscombe obviously) are quite genteel.
I did think of them but they're not really "our" area. And I agree with your Bournemouth assessment too. But I should imagine most of their tiny support comes from the vast farm land in West Dorset, seeing as everyone east of said town (and half the town itself) supports Southampton.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
It's definitely derived from the Emmerdale soap & meant in a derogatory way due to them being a family of low life possible inbreds

It's aimed at Burnley mostly by PNE & Blackburn yet I believe Burnley fans call PNE fans Dingles & Blackburn call both PNE & Burnley Dingles. Unsure if Barnsley are involved. Must be a Northern thing. I've seen that photo of the Burnley squad with Zak Dingle's head imposed on each player. It raised a chuckle. Think the actor is a Burnley fan as said.

Our Dingles have to be Bournemouth

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
The Dingles.

hqdefault.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There are a few families that answer to that description of Dingles in every town throughout the UK.
Folk that dress like a farmyard fashion show, disregarding how they look whilst carrying a Roy Cropper man bag and towing a wally trolley for shopping :hilton:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have a friend who is a mad Rovers fan and I remember him starting to refer to Burnley fans as Dingles in the 90s. He said it was because Emmerdale is set in Yorkshire and that Blackburn fans viewed Burnley with such disregard that they don't accept that they are Lancastrians. As Burnley is that bit closer than Blackburn is to Yorkshire, the term 'Dingle', as well as saying 'thick' or 'common', also said 'Yorkshire,' the worst insult that they could throw at each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here