Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I be worried?

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not convinced about Poyet TBH - maybe I am wrong?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Sunderland and Brighton boss Gus Poyet and his regular assistant, Blues legend Mauricio Taricco, are reportedly the men Ipswich Town will look to recruit if current manager Mick McCarthy moves on in the summer.

According to The Sun, “there is a growing belief” that McCarthy will leave Portman Road during the close season and the club hope that Taricco’s connections with Town could help secure Poyet as his successor, while Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest are also said to be interested in the Uruguayan.

Poyet and Taricco are currently free agents having left AEK in Greece having taken over in October.

The 48-year-old former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder made his intention not to sign a new contract clear ahead of the Greek Cup semi-final at the weekend and was subsequently relieved of his duties by annoyed owner Dimitris Melissanidis. While with AEK Poyet and Taricco won 18 of their 28 games in charge.

Taricco, 43, joined the Blues in 1994 and went on to make 169 starts and three sub appearances, scoring seven goals before joining Tottenham for a fee of £1.775 million in 1998.

While Town’s 2015/16 hasn’t matched their play-off finish of last season there currently seems little prospect of McCarthy moving on - other than if he is offered a more attractive post elsewhere with the Blues boss also having been among those linked with Villa - having signed a new contract stretching to 2018 with an option for a further two years only three months ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1. Mick McCarthy hasn't left Ipswich
2. It's the Sun. What are you doing reading such rubbish?
3. Why would it bother you if they did manage Ipswich?
4. Even if we didn't go up, do you think they could manage to beat us?

5. Why am I bothering?

Edit as I've just realised you're an Ipswich fan. :dunce:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He'll do ok, just don't expect him to hang around too long. I think Gus would be quite well suited to how you play in fairness, lack of funds may put him off though.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bialkowski will NEVER go long, and will only ever pass to a defender.
Your defenders will pass the ball laterally between themselves for a string of 18 or so passes. "Ok Tommy here's what to do: Receive the ball - look up - turn sideways - and pass it back to the bloke you got it from."
After 12 minutes of this Cole Skuse will wander back to between the centre backs to collect the ball, he will then charge forward 10f feet before moving the ball onto Sears, who will take someone on and deliver the ball to Murphy.
All this time Murphy will not have moved a muscle.
Rinse & Repeat
This will work more than it doesn't.

You will never go below 80% possession in a game.
When you go behind you will stay behind.
A proportion of fans will start going absolutely ballistic at the lack of urgency and scream "****ING FORWARD" like they're watching someone balls up a simple crystal maze challenge.
Lots of people will talk about how you play football 'the right way' and sometimes you will actually believe it.
GP will start behaving erratically and bemoaning the lack of resources in cryptic ways.

Would I go back? No - But I wouldn't change my (our) time with Gus for anything. It was great while it lasted, and 10/11 will live long in the memory.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
You will definitely try and sign Liam Bridcutt to play at the base of a five man midfield

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Remind me how much money Ipswich have spent on new players over the last 3 years? How much will be available to GP?

Can't see it happening.

Oct 25, 2003
he's definitely a very good manager at this level but he is absolutely mental and it wouldn't take him long to start kicking off

would much rather mccarthy at this level

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Starts well, ends badly.

And judging by his tenure at AEK, he is getting more efficient at moving from one stage to the next.

I really don't understand the man. He is *this* close to being to being a hero wherever he goes and a manager with a very bright future but he really does seem intent on ****ing it up at the earliest opportunity.

Oct 25, 2003
ipswich seem to be a pretty sensibly run club with decent owners. Can't see Poyet demanding a huge budget, constantly linking himself with premier league jobs and slagging off the club moments after a loss to Norwich going down well at all

he would, however, get them into the play offs and possibly beyond if they could put up with him long enough

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
What's happened to Tyrone Mings' money from Bournemouth? I'm sure you'd have got an additional payment if they stayed up, would that be released for Poyet?

He'll buy a 'striker' who resembles a dog for about £3.25 million. He'll probably have luscious long hair and run a mile, but would have a touch of an elephant.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What's happened to Tyrone Mings' money from Bournemouth? I'm sure you'd have got an additional payment if they stayed up, would that be released for Poyet?

He'll buy a 'striker' who resembles a dog for about £3.25 million. He'll probably have luscious long hair and run a mile, but would have a touch of an elephant.

Conversely he could also bring in a former world class international with the touch of a footballing god. He won't play many games mind.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Conversely he could also bring in a former world class international with the touch of a footballing god. He won't play many games mind.

Yep - both of these.

You'll sign Billy Sharp and DENILSON.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Mick to Gus will be quite a strange transition. It could work, you'll love him to start with at least.

He's a headcase and you'll love it, up until it becomes tedious that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here