Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Chris Jordan: IPL

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Seems Chris Jordan is going to be playing in the IPL for most of May this year. Not good for Sussex and can't be help for his chances of regaining a place in the Test team (although it was probably a fair way off anyway given the comments from Strauss).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/36139321

Chris Jordan: England & Sussex bowler set for Indian Premier League stint

Sussex could be without Chris Jordan for the whole of May after the England pace bowler agreed a deal to play in the Indian Premier League.

The 27-year-old will fly to India on Saturday to join Royal Challengers Bangalore as an injury replacement for Australia's Mitchell Starc.

"It is an exciting opportunity, and one that he mustn't turn down," said Sussex coach Mark Davis.

"We hope the experience he will gain will benefit us when he returns."

Jordan has yet to play for Sussex this season after the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) ordered him to take a break until the beginning of next month.

He has been resting an elbow injury since the World Twenty20 in India, in which he took six wickets in six appearances as England finished runners-up.

Bangalore's final IPL group fixture is against Delhi Daredevils on 22 May, with the IPL final taking place on 29 May, meaning Jordan will miss the start of England's Test series against Sri Lanka which begins on 19 May.

However, despite being a regular in England's limited-overs side, he has not been chosen for the Test team for almost a year and ECB director of cricket Andrew Strauss said he was "happy to support" Jordan's decision.

"Participating in the tournament will be a good opportunity for him to further develop his white-ball skills and experience," added Strauss.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A just reward for his performance in the World T20. I'm not sure he's quite good enough to play in the 5-day team so I think this is good news for everyone (except Sussex)

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
A just reward for his performance in the World T20. I'm not sure he's quite good enough to play in the 5-day team so I think this is good news for everyone (except Sussex)

True. He got in the five day team through one (very) good season with Sussex though. I would suggest another couple of seasons of decent country championship performances and he might be ready for the Test side again.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He bowled magnificently in the world T20.
Fair play to him he deserves the opportunity.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
True. He got in the five day team through one (very) good season with Sussex though. I would suggest another couple of seasons of decent country championship performances and he might be ready for the Test side again.

I'm more than happy to be wrong but if Chris Jordan makes our 5 day side, it's not good news for England. He's a fine cricketer but I just think at the top level he doesn't do anything particularly out of the ordinary with the ball, doesn't have express pace and is prone to sliding down the leg side too often.

It's harsh of me I know.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
This is great news for England IMO. He's never getting near the test team ahead of Anderson, Broad, Finn, Wood, Ali, or Rashid. But the selectors do like him for the limited overs matches so any extra experience he can get in that format is good for us, and let's face it, it doesn't get better than the IPL for T20.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here