20 Years ago today

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I see not all fans are happy but I was concerned what the punishment the club would get but looking back it was nessecary as they we're ruining the club. Are you one of those on the pitch. What do you think.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I was in the North when they pulled the North goal down. There were clearly some 'fans' there that went for the trouble and a lot of anarchist activist types. There was some conflict between those pulling down the goals and those left in the North. I wanted to protest and go on the pitch I had been at every protest previously and all of them since but I left that one. More because that day felt like we'd lost the club more than the following season. At least at the end of the following season we had hope. When I saw the goals pulled down, and other parts of the ground being smashed up. I couldn't handle it. I left. I was in my early 20's and distraught at what had happened to our club.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As the goal came down I was on, ashamed I wasn't on earlier.

and I consider myself to be a very meek, polite person (although I'm probably deluded)

Had to be done.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What is noticeable is that the fans that came on from the North Stand appeared very young, looking like the majority were school-age kids, who probably didn't really know what it was all about at the outset and went along for the jolly.

What was equally noticeable was that horrible thug at around 6:00, who backed up my his "mates" was prepared to take on a fan from the South Stand who didn't think what they were doing was right!

Understand the sentiment was right on the day, but his behaviour was just thuggish - the type we would expect from the likes of a certain Burnley player. Made me feel sick to watch a supposed Brighton fan turn on one of their own so.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Don't really see the point of the police being there, they didn't do anything.
I used to know the chap in the NOBO shirt who was walking up the road at the beginning, his name was Grant, long time ago that.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone go to to the rearranged game? It was on a Tuesday lunchtime I think. Weirdest game I've ever been to.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
1995-96 season I was up in Nottingham at Uni, barely went to a game, wasn't really tuned in what was happening at Brighton - the internet wasn't the all-seeing eye it is now. This York game made the reality of what was going on suddenly jump out at me and I was glad to be back in Brighton and part of the protests during 96-97.

Watching it - really packed out for a relegated team, I guess most thought it was the last game at the Goldstone. Was the protest organised in advance or spontaneous? Enjoyed the 'bellotti out' graffitti on the dugouts :lol: Amazing it took another year to get the c*nts out of our club.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was there. It certainly was one of the strangest games I've ever attended. Lovely morning sunshine and the away section of the South Stand full of York supporters and the North Stand with about the same number of Albion supporters.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
What is noticeable is that the fans that came on from the North Stand appeared very young, looking like the majority were school-age kids, who probably didn't really know what it was all about at the outset and went along for the jolly.

What was equally noticeable was that horrible thug at around 6:00, who backed up my his "mates" was prepared to take on a fan from the South Stand who didn't think what they were doing was right!

Understand the sentiment was right on the day, but his behaviour was just thuggish - the type we would expect from the likes of a certain Burnley player. Made me feel sick to watch a supposed Brighton fan turn on one of their own so.

I've heard that fan in the South had history with said people, he wasn't just a normal fan disagreeing with the actions.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was the protest organised in advance or spontaneous? .

I remember getting a bus to the ground and a girl in a Brighton top got on. I said to her: "There's going to be a riot today, isn't there?". And she said: "Yes, pitch invasion at 3.15". At precisely 3.15 it happened. Amazing the police weren't aware.

'Sack the Board' written across the pitch was just amazing. I dare say there was some organised thuggery that encouraged the destruction of the goals but it was never a riot. I remember old ladies sitting on the pitch in the sunshine! What that day did was to alert the world of our plight. The second item on the BBC national news that night, after Bosnia, was Brighton v York City. Quite incredible.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I see not all fans are happy but I was concerned what the punishment the club would get but looking back it was nessecary as they we're ruining the club. Are you one of those on the pitch. What do you think.

myself and your bro along with DF were some of the first dozen or so on the pitch , it had to be done, although I did wind DF's Mrs up the following day by phoning her and saying I had spent the night down the nick , she said the effin barstewards had better not come round here ! :)

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
The utube picture on here thats one of my best mates. at 7.02 I climb with him on top of the dug out im wearing a hat back to front and have blue and white fat stripes the only one on that side of the dug out.that was insane that day

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I applaud all those that went on and pulled the posts down. Like Captain Sensible, I was very upset at the time. I was in the north with my brother and dad. We knew the club was in severe danger but it was only when the evening news was on and the next day on all the front pages of the papers, that I realised the importance of that kind of direct action. The Goldstone ground group on Facebook has a quote from the news of the world where the liars claim it was all the work of hooligans and that riot police were called in. I certainly don't remember any riot police. That day made the football community realise just how bad things were for us and we gained a lot of sympathy from other fans. The York fans were amazing.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I applaud all those that went on and pulled the posts down. Like Captain Sensible, I was very upset at the time. I was in the north with my brother and dad. We knew the club was in severe danger but it was only when the evening news was on and the next day on all the front pages of the papers, that I realised the importance of that kind of direct action. The Goldstone ground group on Facebook has a quote from was all the workans and that riot police were called in. I certainly don't remember any riot police. That day made the football community realise just how bad things were for us and we gained a lot of sympathy from other fans. The York fans were amazing.

There were some sort of riot police because a fair few of us tried to get into ground vis the players tunnel but they had shut the doors and when they were partially opened battons came through.i was also on the pitch at Lincoln at home evening gameand at the old concorde for a meeting between fans and board paul samarah an attila were both there i was only 18 they were such dark times.what a differnce 20years makes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here