Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last season in the Championship: Some scores on the financial doors

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Someone asked for where the Albion wage bill was last season relative to the rest of the division, so I've managed to access the accounts of all the clubs that have published their accounts.

Still awaiting Bournemouth, Bolton and Blackpool, all of whom have shall we say 'colourful' owners and/or histories from last season, so no doubt have reasons for wanting to delay going public as much as they can.

Last season Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham and Millwall all breached FFP rules, which have been substantially relaxed in 2015/16.

Some of the numbers need tidying up and further checks, (and I have lots more columns in the spreadsheet too as trying to value each club).

EBIT is a profit figure I am trying to use that excludes one off items (such as Cardiff writing off a £13 million loan from the owner) and gains from player sales, which are very volatile.

HPD stands for highest paid director.

Overall Championship clubs (for the 21 clubs we have to date) had revenue of £482 million last season, and paid out wages of £476 million.

They made a collective loss before player trading of £266 million.

2015 based on wages.PNG

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Plucky little Bournemouth on their shoe string budget still haven't declared theirs, I wonder why?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Could we have a column for parachute payments received as well (assuming that such payments are left in all the other measures)?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Someone asked for where the Albion wage bill was last season relative to the rest of the division, so I've managed to access the accounts of all the clubs that have published their accounts.

Still awaiting Bournemouth, Bolton and Blackpool, all of whom have shall we say 'colourful' owners and/or histories from last season, so no doubt have reasons for wanting to delay going public as much as they can.

Last season Bournemouth, Forest, Fulham and Millwall all breached FFP rules, which have been substantially relaxed in 2015/16.

Some of the numbers need tidying up and further checks, (and I have lots more columns in the spreadsheet too as trying to value each club).

EBIT is a profit figure I am trying to use that excludes one off items (such as Cardiff writing off a £13 million loan from the owner) and gains from player sales, which are very volatile.

Overall Championship clubs (for the 21 clubs we have to date) had revenue of £482 million last season, and paid out wages of £476 million.

View attachment 74038

Well played. Does it show the break down of the revenue?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could we have a column for parachute payments received as well (assuming that such payments are left in all the other measures)?

I have broken down revenue into match day, commercials and broadcast, but his the columns as it was looking a bit large. Will publish the whole thing once have the results for the last three clubs, along with player spend for last season and club debts.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Plucky little Bournemouth on their shoe string budget still haven't declared theirs, I wonder why?

Most clubs have a year end of 31 May to coincide with the season end.

The 'Muff have theirs at 31 July.

D

Deleted member 2719

View attachment 74038

I love this Stuff.:thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

View attachment 74038

Thanks El Pres. You've compiled that list on the basis of the wages spent, which is interesting. There's some discrepancies there between the clubs. My memory is a tad hazy, and I can't be bothered to do Internet searches on this, but it seems as though:
-- the top three teams in terms of wage expenditure were the three relegated clubs: Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff
-- three out of the next top four teams were those relegated a year or two before -- Reading, Blackburn and Wigan
This seems to indicate the impact of FFP, although it has had only a negligible effect in recent years on clubs' performance in the Championship. We probably should also highlight how well Rotherham have done on a comparative shoestring.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks El Pres. You've compiled that list on the basis of the wages spent, which is interesting. There's some discrepancies there between the clubs. My memory is a tad hazy, and I can't be bothered to do Internet searches on this, but it seems as though:
-- the top three teams in terms of wage expenditure were the three relegated clubs: Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff
-- three out of the next top four teams were those relegated a year or two before -- Reading, Blackburn and Wigan
This seems to indicate the impact of FFP, although it has had only a negligible effect in recent years on clubs' performance in the Championship. We probably should also highlight how well Rotherham have done on a comparative shoestring.
[MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] had asked earlier today to rank clubs according to wage levels, so duly obliged.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you don't mind me asking [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham and Reading stand out on revenue stream. What factors are behind that? Surely we compete on bums on seats times price plus other commercial opportunities? Umbrella payments maybe??

I like your optimism with the thread title by the way. :lol::lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you don't mind me asking [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham and Reading stand out on revenue stream. What factors are behind that? Surely we compete on bums on seats times price plus other commercial opportunities? Umbrella payments maybe??

I like your optimism with the thread title by the way. :lol::lol:

Revenue broken down into three main streams, Matchday, Broadcasting (which includes parachute payments) and commercial/other.

Championship 2015 revenue breakdown.PNG

Some numbers need further explanation.

Boro's matchday includes all the money from the playoff final, and they did well in the cup too. The previous season their matchday receipts were only £3.86 million.

Norwich made over £4 million from catering due to the Delia connection.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I get it. I didn't see the revenue was broken down in the next 3 columns. A colour spreadsheet would have helped me or indeed a colour NSC forum. £4m from Delia's food input is impressive.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some more numbers, this time about player additions and disposals. It shows the advantage that the clubs in receipt of parachute payments have over other clubs.

The three that came down from the PL spent 45% of the total player signings by value in the Championship in 2014/5.

The Albion were mid-table.

Championship 2015 player signings.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here