Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beram Kayal - Our Player of the Season

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
None from my either. He has been sheer class throughout the season. Unlike Bridcutt, whose first look was always backwards, Kayal drives us forward. He can pick a great pass, crunch a tackle or two and has a fair shot on him. He is the engine room and the catalyst for so much of our positive attacking play. He is quality and class and we are very fortunate to have him in our team.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A good choice. Could have gone to a couple of other players perhaps, but Kayal's been excellent for us, consistently putting in top quality performances.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A good choice. Could have gone to a couple of other players perhaps, but Kayal's been excellent for us, consistently putting in top quality performances.

Agreed, I think every Brighton fan I've spoken too says this. My choice was Stockdale but you can't have any complaints with Kayal being a thoroughly deserved winner. I'm glad that Bruno, Stockdale and Kayal were all recognised at the awards.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agreed, I think every Brighton fan I've spoken too says this. My choice was Stockdale but you can't have any complaints with Kayal being a thoroughly deserved winner. I'm glad that Bruno, Stockdale and Kayal were all recognised at the awards.

Spot on. Kayal got my vote but it's been absolutely brilliant to have multiple candidates for the award this year. Stockdale and Bruno would have also been worthy recipients, and pretty much the rest of the team worthy of a podium place. Stephens, Dunk, Goldson, Rosenior, Hemed, Knockaert, Murphy of the more or less regulars also worthy of a shout too. That's without recognising the contributions of Zamora and Baldock. A really terrific group of players that it has been a pleasure to watch this season.

If I watch that end of season montage one more time may begin to blub. Happy days!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
None from my either. He has been sheer class throughout the season. Unlike Bridcutt, whose first look was always backwards, Kayal drives us forward. He can pick a great pass, crunch a tackle or two and has a fair shot on him. He is the engine room and the catalyst for so much of our positive attacking play. He is quality and class and we are very fortunate to have him in our team.

I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I think if Kayal had been playing deep midfield in the Poyet side, you would have got short back and sideways passes from him too.
What Bridcutt did was what Poyet asked him to do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Kayal: Man Of Steel. Overnight stopped sides rolling us over in midfield. With total respect to Bruno and Stockdale, Kayal's award is HUGELY deserved, and IMHO must have run Barton pretty damn close for inclusion in Championship Team Of The Season :bowdown:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I think if Kayal had been playing deep midfield in the Poyet side, you would have got short back and sideways passes from him too.
What Bridcutt did was what Poyet asked him to do.

If you had made that statement about any of the other players I would have tended to agree with you. Not Beram though. He is a little bit more difficult to reign in. Just watch his ongoing discussions and signals with the bench during matches. He is always looking to push forward with the bench constantly trying to make sure he doesn't push too far and get caught out of position.

Also if you watch the few times that he does get caught out of position he busts a gut to get back because he realises that he was the one who had gone ahead of where he should have been. The lad is brilliant player to have in the side but his eagerness to succeed often occasionally affects his ability control his own designated role within the side.

None of this is a criticism of Beram by the way. Far from it. I like to see him push forward but because we often play with 2 wingers then both Stephens and Kayal need to be controlled in their roles in that midfield area

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said a while ago, picking between Kayal, Stockdale and Bruno is like attempting to answer a *******ized version of an age old question:-

'which of your triplets do you love the most?'

Personally I'd have gone for Stockdale but as that's based entirely on the fact he's never allowed to win any motm awards, I've hardly got a strong case.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you had made that statement about any of the other players I would have tended to agree with you. Not Beram though. He is a little bit more difficult to reign in. Just watch his ongoing discussions and signals with the bench during matches. He is always looking to push forward with the bench constantly trying to make sure he doesn't push too far and get caught out of position.

Also if you watch the few times that he does get caught out of position he busts a gut to get back because he realises that he was the one who had gone ahead of where he should have been. The lad is brilliant player to have in the side but his eagerness to succeed often occasionally affects his ability control his own designated role within the side.

None of this is a criticism of Beram by the way. Far from it. I like to see him push forward but because we often play with 2 wingers then both Stephens and Kayal need to be controlled in their roles in that midfield area

All spot on, and in recent games he's been pushing harder than ever it seems (vs QPR and Fulham he was marauding - I like that word for him - very late into the game up front). I voted Bruno but to be honest would have been very happy with any of Bruno, Kayal or Stockdale, and not unhappy with Stephens, Hemed, Goldson or Dunk. What a position to be compared to a year ago

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
All spot on, and in recent games he's been pushing harder than ever it seems (vs QPR and Fulham he was marauding - I like that word for him - very late into the game up front).
Marauder is the perfect word for him - never known an Albion player to steal the ball on so many occasions where he should've had no chance of doing so. In part due to his great anticipation but mostly because of his frankly ridiculous energy and workrate.

There are few things I find more endearing from a player in the stripes than someone absolutely breaking his neck to chase/carry the ball upfield in the dying minutes of a game.. when we're already 4-0 up (as in that QPR game). Can't put a price on that sort of innate hunger.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I couldn't split him or Bruno, they have both been magnificent.

Keeping them out is important of course, but Kayal has been a BIG factor in us outscoring every other team in the division this season, so he is a worthy winner.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kayal in a word... LEADER.

Exactly what we missed most before he joined us.

Thoroughly deserved award.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Happy that Kayal got it 'cause if I could play football the way anyone in the team does, I would want to play like him.

Mustard.

And indeed, different gravy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here