Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last day stitch up?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
So, if it came down to a draw on the last day to send both ourselves and Boro up would you be pleased to see a fabricated draw. Leaving Burnley stitched up? I feel pretty mixed about it. Great,we would achieve the goal but if it was Boro and Burnley stitching us up in that manner I'd be livid. What do you feel about it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, if it came down to a draw on the last day to send both ourselves and Boro up would you be pleased to see a fabricated draw. Leaving Burnley stitched up? I feel pretty mixed about it. Great,we would achieve the goal but if it was Boro and Burnley stitching us up in that manner I'd be livid. What do you feel about it?

The title would be at stake presumably. Can't see anyone fabricating anything as it would require an unbelievable amount of trust. Both clubs may set out very defensively, and play out a draw, but I don't think there would be anything fabricated about that, it would just play out on the field.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We'd never hear the last of it if it was a true stitch up. I'd rather we stayed in the Championship and played fair than cheat, we're not CPFC2010

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we found ourselves in the position where a last game stitch up was possible, I would be ecstatic.
I'm not sure either team would genuinely play for a draw though. However if the scores were level after 60/70 minutes, I think the intensity would go out of the game somewhat. Neither manager would be looking to risk anything from that point on.

All academic though....Burnley won't lose against QPR. Even if they draw and Boro win, we would need at least a 6-0 score line against Derby to even entertain the idea of playing for a draw at Boro.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it cheating? I'm not convinced it is.

Well fixing a result is cheating, that's what Spurs v Saints did to us in 78'. Why would we want our club put through the dirt?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well fixing a result is cheating, that's what Spurs v Saints did to us in 78'. Why would we want our club put through the dirt?

This. Anyone seriously thinking a contrived draw is a good idea ought to remember just how we felt in 1978.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This. Anyone seriously thinking a contrived draw is a good idea ought to remember just how we felt in 1978.

100%, think there is a sudden hate towards Burnley just because of Barton.

The only way we will do it is to win last 2 games, Boro have beaten us and we need to put the record straight and do them on their own turf

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
BHA fans of a certain vintage still shudder at the memory of 1978 and the final day of the season. Bolton had already been promoted and with one game left, the league table looked like this.....
Southampton P 41 PTS 55
Tottenham P 41 PTS 55
BHA P 41 PTS 54
We were at home and won, Saints and Spurs met at the Dell ( both had better goal differences than us ).....Guess what happened next?

larus

If we found ourselves in the position where a last game stitch up was possible, I would be ecstatic.
I'm not sure either team would genuinely play for a draw though. However if the scores were level after 60/70 minutes, I think the intensity would go out of the game somewhat. Neither manager would be looking to risk anything from that point on.

All academic though....Burnley won't lose against QPR. Even if they draw and Boro win, we would need at least a 6-0 score line against Derby to even entertain the idea of playing for a draw at Boro.

All we would need is to match their win next weekend but by 2 more clear goals. So they win by 1, we need to win by 3.
Then we would be above them by goals scored. So, the draw would not benefit them. We would not need to win by 6-0 (unless they win 4-0).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
All we would need is to match their win next weekend but by 2 more clear goals. So they win by 1, we need to win by 3.
Then we would be above them by goals scored. So, the draw would not benefit them. We would not need to win by 6-0 (unless they win 4-0).

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My hypothetical scenario is based on the idea we could go into the game with both teams playing for the draw.

For this to occur, both teams would have to be certain that Burnley could not better either teams goal difference.
Burnley currently have +3 on our GD and + 1 on Boro.
Therefore both teams would have to have a significant advantage over Burnley on GD to entertain the idea that a stitch up draw is a viable option.

I proposed at least 6-0 vs Derby for us to have enough of a cushion to consider it. 3 to make up the gap + 3 more to set a target of 4-0 for Burnley.
Boro would probably need to beat Brum by 4 or 5 before they would entertain the idea, as they h.ave scored less goals than Burnley.

As I said all hypothetical, I can't see Burnley slipping up now, so the stitch up option is an unlikely event to say the least.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This is all just Froth for now and is dependent on Middlesbrough beating Birmingham for a start.

I'll be a Birmingham fan on Friday, and other than that giving full focus to an albion win on Monday.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So what happens where both the Albion and Boro have better GD rhan Burnley and decide to play for the draw. The game at Charlton gets delayed due to protests the game at Boro ends 0-0 leaving Burnley say 15 mins to scire more goals.
Far better to just win the next 2

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here