Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's all about Derby!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry to state the obvious, but I feel that some of us are jumping ahead one game to the Middlesbrough match, without realising what a tough game we have on Monday. Derby are a very very good side and could easily upset us and come away with the three points. This is the game I have been most concerned about in the last couple of weeks. Derby have the pressure off, play-off place assured and psychologically to beat us before the play-offs will be a huge boost to them, especially if we are in the play-offs with them. A win would put huge pressure on to Burnley. Regardless of what's going on in any of the matches we must to win this game. Some have said that we can still go up with a draw, but we just can't think that way, nor can the team. We have no room for complacency on Monday. It needs to be all-out concentration to win this game and 90 minutes of the AMEX rocking! So forget about Middlesbrough on the last day, and concentrate hundred percent on Monday against Derby nothing else matters!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry to state the obvious, but I feel that some of us are jumping ahead one game...
Derby are a very very good side and could easily upset us and come away with the three points. This is the game I have been most concerned about in the last couple of weeks.
Sorry to state the obvious, but I feel you were jumping ahead one game, or more.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry to state the obvious, but I feel that some of us are jumping ahead one game to the Middlesbrough match, without realising what a tough game we have on Monday. Derby are a very very good side and could easily upset us and come away with the three points. This is the game I have been most concerned about in the last couple of weeks. Derby have the pressure off, play-off place assured and psychologically to beat us before the play-offs will be a huge boost to them, especially if we are in the play-offs with them. A win would put huge pressure on to Burnley. Regardless of what's going on in any of the matches we must to win this game. Some have said that we can still go up with a draw, but we just can't think that way, nor can the team. We have no room for complacency on Monday. It needs to be all-out concentration to win this game and 90 minutes of the AMEX rocking! So forget about Middlesbrough on the last day, and concentrate hundred percent on Monday against Derby nothing else matters!

I said it before the Charlton game and the potential disruption, Chris Hughton will have the players' minds totally focussed on the job in hand. No-one at the club will be looking further than 14:30 on Monday.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Too right :)

It's all about the Derby game.

But I'll have a night off and support Birmingham on Friday in the pub.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that scenario happened (assuming Boro win) we would need to beat Boro by more than at least 3 goals (best case scenario).
Best case scenario is that Middlesbrough don't won on Friday.

A win on Monday is vital.
If Middlesbrough win on Friday, a draw for us would be as good as a 1 or 2 goal win, as either way, we'll need to beat Middlesbrough on the last day.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

If Middlesbrough win on Friday, a draw for us would be as good as a 1 or 2 goal win, as either way, we'll need to beat Middlesbrough on the last day.
Best case is something like

Birmingham 5 Middlesbrough 0
Albion 5 Derby reserves 0

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Yes but going into a game at home thinking we only need a draw is not the right mentality to have amongst supporters. We have played every game as if our lives depended on it. We need to win. I get what you are saying about beating Boro, but we have to win just in case Burnley slip up at some point. Thinking draws will be enough hasn't been what has got us joint top. Forget Boro for now. Either way, we need to win on Monday.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes but going into a game at home thinking we only need a draw is not the right mentality to have amongst supporters. We have played every game as if our lives depended on it. We need to win. I get what you are saying about beating Boro, but we have to win just in case Burnley slip up at some point. Thinking draws will be enough hasn't been what has got us joint top. Forget Boro for now. Either way, we need to win on Monday.

Totally agree with this. Whilst I would welcome an unlikely Boro slip on friday I would not want it to comprimise our approach to the final game. Watching us sit on a game for 90 minutes would not only be agony but also likely to end in defeat.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I get what you are saying about beating Boro, but we have to win just in case Burnley slip up at some point.

The advantage we have is that we'll already know if Boro have slipped up at Birmingham. If they do, a win is suddenly much better than a draw.

Completely agree with what you're saying though - go for the win even if they haven't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes but going into a game at home thinking we only need a draw is not the right mentality to have amongst supporters. We have played every game as if our lives depended on it.
If Middlesbrough win, and we're level with 5 minutes to go, do you want our team to go all out attack and risk losing, or attack sensibly while keeping it tight at the back? I'll go for the latter please, a loss would be a disaster, while a win or draw will both leave us needing to win the last game.

We need to win.
As I've tried to explain, a win would be nice but we don't NEED to win.

I get what you are saying about beating Boro, but we have to win just in case Burnley slip up at some point.
Winning would be good as it is possible (although unlikely) that Burnley could slip, but we don't want to be cavalier about it.

If we NEED to win our last game, then that's a different matter, that could be a real NEED to win, where a draw could be as much use as a loss.

Watching us sit on a game for 90 minutes would not only be agony but also likely to end in defeat.
And who said we should do that? Playing attacking football and going for the win could be the best way to avoid defeat, but there's a difference between going for the win from the start, and thinking we HAVE to win when it's level and there's a few minutes left.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If Middlesbrough win, and we're level with 5 minutes to go, do you want our team to go all out attack and risk losing, or attack sensibly while keeping it tight at the back? I'll go for the latter please, a loss would be a disaster, while a win or draw will both leave us needing to win the last game.

As I've tried to explain, a win would be nice but we don't NEED to win.

Winning would be good as it is possible (although unlikely) that Burnley could slip, but we don't want to be cavalier about it.

If we NEED to win our last game, then that's a different matter, that could be a real NEED to win, where a draw could be as much use as a loss.

And who said we should do that? Playing attacking football and going for the win could be the best way to avoid defeat, but there's a difference between going for the win from the start, and thinking we HAVE to win when it's level and there's a few minutes left.

So we keep it tight and draw against Derby, then Burnley draw a blank at home, you'd be happy with that would you?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I agree Derby are a very good team , but we are better , look how far they are behind us in the league , we have more riding on the game than Derby as they are already assured of a play off place . So I expect us to be sharper , and have more incentive to win the match than Derby and I think that will make the difference

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Derby will be more of a challenge than our last few opponents but if we perform to our potential we have nothing to fear . We were unlucky not to beat them at their place, we are at home and we are 10 points above them for a reason.

Ah the previous post beat me to it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So we keep it tight and draw against Derby, then Burnley draw a blank at home, you'd be happy with that would you?
Firstly, you're confusing our options:
1) Play for a draw
2) Play to win, but if it's looking like a draw, take it
3) We have to win. If it's level with a couple of minutes to go, send Stockdale up.

We don't want to do 1, because it could backfire and we could still lose.
We don't want to do 3, which is what you're (maybe accidentally) suggesting, because it's daft.
We want to go for 2. If we score, great, let's see if we can get another. Who knows, we could get several and help our GD. But let's not be silly - if we finish with a draw (after Middlesbrough have won) that will be ok.

Secondly, regarding Burnley: if Middlesbrough win and we draw against Derby, I'd be happy enough (even though I'd prefer a win). It means we've got 1 game left and we're promoted if we win. The chances of Burnley getting less than 4 points is not good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here