Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a new mower

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What shall I get? Slightly bigger garden than before, more lawn, need something bigger than the Flymo 350 that I have now.

Should I go manual, petrol, a big hover? What to do. Note not big enough for a sit on lawn mower with a cup holder sadly.

D

Deleted member 2719

A petrol cylinder unless your likely to have lots of stones/twigs getting on to your lawn.

It will look like the AMEX.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
What shall I get? Slightly bigger garden than before, more lawn, need something bigger than the Flymo 350 that I have now.

Should I go manual, petrol, a big hover? What to do. Note not big enough for a sit on lawn mower with a cup holder sadly.

lawn-mowers-500-35.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you've got somewhere to store it properly and the fuel I'd always go petrol.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Based on personal experience I would never get another Flymo. Cheap Chinese rubbish, poorly made and will only last a couple of years.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Slightly off topic but...
I bought a mower from Argos online, a couple of years ago, which was £20 cheaper than normal store price.
Then had it delivered to my local store for me to collect.
So I guess it's better to buy online, more rights?
Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Not sure how big your lawn is but I have switched to a Mountfield Battery mower. The battery lasts for about 1/12 to 2 hours mowing time plus you gat a spare battery. If you order on line a local dealer will deliver it to your door.Other battery mowers are available.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
If going for electric one - Have found my Bosch Rotak very good and robust excellent - excellent cut, chomps thru flint and other non grass items and hovers the lawn perfectly. Would love a petrol one though if only to smell the two stroke.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Hayter Spirit Rear Roller Petrol Mower....that is what I ended up with after quite a bit of research. Leaves nice lines on the lawn and easier to use than a cylinder mower which is fine if your lawn is absolutely flat. Had it 10 years now, been serviced 3 times and is as good as the day I bought it.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
I got a petrol Hayter Spirit from AMP in Portslade. Easy to use and leaves the nice stripes on the lawn.
They were very helpful when I told them what I was looking for.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
four-stroke petrol cylinder mower Atco Windsor [self propelled] for spring/summer quality cuts and an electric Qualcast rotary for back-up winter trim
Both give them posh looking strip effects

This month's Which? magazine's best buys are:-

John Deere RUN46 @ £425 - petrol
Bosch Total 43Li @ £480 - cordless battery
Viking ME235 @ £125 - corded electric
Forget hover mowers

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Petrol. Never electric - you will just run over the wire eventually, and batteries are no fun at all.

Honda or Briggs & Stratton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here