Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wednesday v Cardiff

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know we're not thinking play-offs, but if the worst happened, who would you rather face? It's a nightmare really, we never win at Hillsborough and Cardiff won with aplomb against us a few weeks back.

They play each other this weekend - only a Cardiff win takes it to the final day,

This thread doubles up as a form of therapy for those of us who are trying to get used to a third place finish in an attempt to manage any crushing disappointment in a fortnight's time.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Cardiff all day long. we have never won away to weds..... and their team is full of danger men!!!!

To be honest im more concerned with Derby losing 2 (definitely one against us hopefully), and Weds winning 2 thus pipping them into 5th place... leaving Derby as the opponent for the 3rd place team *shudder*

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cardiff without any hesitation.

Wednesday are a decent and strong side and seem to be a bogey one for us. It would be nailed on 0-0, 0-0 and then penalties.

Cardiff aren't anything special. The 4-1 was an aberration. They probably deserved to win, but they weren't 3 goals better. We had enough chances to be at least level at points in that game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cardiff without any hesitation.

Wednesday are a decent and strong side and seem to be a bogey one for us. It would be nailed on 0-0, 0-0 and then penalties.

Cardiff aren't anything special. The 4-1 was an aberration. They probably deserved to win, but they weren't 3 goals better. We had enough chances to be at least level at points in that game.

I'd agree with all of this. Cardiff are far worse than Wednesday, which is why Wednesday will probably put it to bed on Saturday.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wednesday :lolol: are on a bad run and according to my owl supporting acquaintances are not playing well at all. If it wasn't for Cardiff and Ipswich also bottling it they would already be out of playoff contention.

I spoke to one yesterday who said they are no way good enough to go up and that we will hammer them if we get them in the playoffs. They'd prefer Burnley or Boro but he reckoned any of the top three will be too good for them.

If the worst happens and we finish third then I can't think of a better time to finally put the Hillsborough curse to bed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd definitely rather face Cardiff. Wednesday are typical Championship hard to beat side and we just don't ever good more than a draw at their place. We regularly struggle against them. Can only really recall the FA Cup Semi as anything notable against Wednesday.

Whereas Cardiff are less solid and more beatable in my book.

However given all that I have just said I am certain it will be Wednesday in 6th so it's probably only wishful thinking to get Cardiff.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I'd definitely rather face Cardiff. Wednesday are typical Championship hard to beat side and we just don't ever good more than a draw at their place. We regularly struggle against them. Can only really recall the FA Cup Semi as anything notable against Wednesday.

Whereas Cardiff are less solid and more beatable in my book.

However given all that I have just said I am certain it will be Wednesday in 6th so it's probably only wishful thinking to get Cardiff.

We beat them in 1977 to win promotion at the Goldstone in front off over 30000 , 3 - 2 on a Tuesday night

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For what it's worth (very little), the stats say that Wednesday are much more of an attacking threat than Cardiff (shoot slightly less, but convert far more often). They also have a better midfield but a slightly worse defence / keeper (they face less shots, but concede after fewer attempts).

Attack
Cardiff take 12.6 shots per match (the league average)
Cardiff need 9.8 shots per goal (better than average)

Massive take 12.1 shots per match (below average)
Massive need 8.2 shots per goal (much better than average)

BHA take 13.2 shots per match (a bit better than average)
BHA need 9.5 shots per goal (a bit better than average)

Defence
Cardiff face 13.1 shots per match (the league average)
Cardiff resist 12.1 shots before conceding (slightly better than average)

Massive face 11.3 shots per match (quite a bit better than average)
Massive resist 11.9 shots before conceding (slightly better than average)

BHA face 11.9 shots per match (better than average)
BHA resist 12.9 shots before conceding (better than average)

Form
Cardiff WDLDLW
Massive WWLDDD
BHA DWWWWW

*Stats are based on the scatter charts from experimental361. They are as 21/03/16 so don't include our recent goals bonanza, not sure how much that would skew things.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
0871 221 1882
Hi, can I speak to Sean Dyche please.
Sean, the fans on NSC want to know who the third placed team want in the play offs.
Joey who wants to know my address, why?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Confident we'd beat Cardiff over two legs. Not so sure about Wednesday

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's the 3pm game being covered today so they'll be streams available in case anyone wants to watch.

Massive game for both sides.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Until this season we had never scored a goal, let alone win at MKDons. If we had to face Wednesday, there's no reason why we couldn't win at Hillsborough.
On the reverse side, until this season, we hadn't lost a game at Cardiff City stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here