Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Windows 10 nag screen

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Until now the windows 10 upgrade nag screen has given the option to decline. However, a new one has just appeared on my machine which simply gives the option to upgrade either now, tonight, or to choose the time. Has anyone else had this yet? and as the only 'get out' is to close the window does anybody know if this will avert an unwanted upgrade? Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
tauntamount to malware the practices employed to try getting upgrades to Win10.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
tauntamount to malware the practices employed to try getting upgrades to Win10.

Indeed. Why are Microsoft so desperate for people to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, when traditionally a new operating system from them has been north of eighty notes (and still enabled them to monopolise the desktop market). It's obviously something more than altruism.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Yep. Just close it? *shrug*

Yeah That. Little red box with a cross in it. Top right corner?

Yeah come on guys, I'm not an idiot. I think I made it clear that my concern was that this might lead to an unwanted installation given that this is the first prompt that hasn't featured an obvious option to refuse Win10, combined with many reports of users getting it against their wishes.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Indeed. Why are Microsoft so desperate for people to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, when traditionally a new operating system from them has been north of eighty notes (and still enabled them to monopolise the desktop market). It's obviously something more than altruism.

Microsoft make relatively little money from the domestic Windows market, and it makes sense to get as many people on the latest and most secure version of their OS. It's not altruism, but neither is it evil - it's pragmatism.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yeah come on guys, I'm not an idiot. I think I made it clear that my concern was that this might lead to an unwanted installation given that this is the first prompt that hasn't featured an obvious option to refuse Win10, combined with many reports of users getting it against their wishes.

True but guess it doesn't bother me as much just to quit the prompt.

Having said that I will upgrade but only when people stop reporting simple errors/bugs and annoyances from it.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Microsoft make relatively little money from the domestic Windows market, and it makes sense to get as many people on the latest and most secure version of their OS. It's not altruism, but neither is it evil - it's pragmatism.

Or, pragmatically, it's a bigger money spinner from all the personal information they can harvest from their consumer. Besides, no Windows OS will ever be secure, simply due to its market share. Hackers, spammers and malware coders will target Windows OS 's preferentially and Microsoft will always be playing catch up, no it's a straw man argument to cite security as a reason.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Or, pragmatically, it's a bigger money spinner from all the personal information they can harvest from their consumer. Besides, no Windows OS will ever be secure, simply due to its market share. Hackers, spammers and malware coders will target Windows OS 's preferentially and Microsoft will always be playing catch up, no it's a straw man argument to cite security as a reason.

It may not have the inherent security of OS X or Linux but it's still the most secure MS OS out there.

Apple do much the same thing with moving people onti its latest OS, but very few people accuse their having ulterior motives. They both want the same thing for the same reason - as many people on the latest version as possible.

Personally, I've yet to see a cogent argument for not moving to Win10, especially if the user is on XP or Vista. It's a mature ond rounded OS and light-years ahead of those, and still a big improvement on 7 and 8/8.1. But each to their own - everyone has their reasons, I guess.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Be very careful. It is now an "important" not optional upgrade and you may automatically install them. Decline in the Terms screen if it does that to you like it did for me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It may not have the inherent security of OS X or Linux but it's still the most secure MS OS out there.

Apple do much the same thing with moving people onti its latest OS, but very few people accuse their having ulterior motives. They both want the same thing for the same reason - as many people on the latest version as possible.

Personally, I've yet to see a cogent argument for not moving to Win10, especially if the user is on XP or Vista. It's a mature ond rounded OS and light-years ahead of those, and still a big improvement on 7 and 8/8.1. But each to their own - everyone has their reasons, I guess.

Well I upgraded Mrs W's laptop from 8 to 10 and a worse version of Windows I'm yet to see ( and I've worked with Windows since 3.0 ). Dog slow to say the least. And Microsoft have just managed to produce the worst application in history taking over iTunes crown ...... Edge !!!! And you can't even remove the tossing thing.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Personally, I've yet to see a cogent argument for not moving to Win10

My PC is 2 years old and despite most folks hating Windows 8 everything is working well for me. I have it set to boot to the desktop so I never see the much maligned Metro start screen and it is perfectly stable. Given that Windows 8 extended support ends in 2023 that will have given me 9 years use out of my machine which is totally acceptable to me. At that point it will be new PC time.

I only need to be running the software that I already use on the system and have a console for gaming, so their is no issue with any future-proofing or anything like that.

The possible risk of problems through upgrading aren't worth it to me. I understand you can roll back to your previous version if you don't like it, but past experience with 'System Restore' has left me doubtful that things would return to their previous state without issue. I am a firm believer in the 'If it ain't broke...' adage.

That's even before giving any consideration to the data harvesting and the advertising that is apparently creeping into the Windows 10 OS, and combined with Microsoft's increasingly aggressive and presumptuous stance in this whole affair it makes me want to push back the other way out of spite as much as anything.

I bought MY machine with Windows 8!

MY choice!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any NSC techies know if the majority of large corporations are STILL clinging on to Windows XP and paying through the nose for support for it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Any NSC techies know if the majority of large corporations are STILL clinging on to Windows XP and paying through the nose for support for it?

large corps not so much, they can afford to upgrade. in my field of pharma data, its scary how little movement has been made away from XP across the whole industry, surgeries, hospitals and pharmacists are all running XP, most without paying for extended support. the problem is manpower to upgrade, test and rework all the applications, there isnt the funding so they just sit it out and hope nothing happens.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I did a desktop migration project for a well known [house-hold name] org last year.
We went from XP to 8.1 and several times we discussed changing that to Win 10 but stuck with 8.1
Main logic was concern for availability of Win 10 drivers for older legacy peripheral kit - printers, scanners and the like.

One of my home PCs did a Win 10 upgrade without my confirmation - roll back option performed fine.

I think one of the reasons Micro$oft are keen to offer the free upgrade is that there will be less noise when they pull support for the older O/S's because they hope fewer folk will still be using them. I do find it strange that there is reticence to the Win 10 upgrade [me included] but with most other products, consumers will take your hand off for a free upgrade. Here's a new car in exchange for you 5-year-old model - not many would shun that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here