Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How crucial will Hemed's stoppage time penalty today be at the end of the season?...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
That extra goal could make all the difference.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why is that one the crucial extra goal and not Knockaert's second v QPR? Or the own goal scored by Bristol City? Or Dunk's v Leeds? Why not wither of Skalak's last two goals?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
twas very nicely taken

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't forget all of Bobby's goals are more important than any other.

puts tin hat on a slides away.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Why is that one the crucial extra goal and not Knockaert's second v QPR? Or the own goal scored by Bristol City? Or Dunk's v Leeds? Why not wither of Skalak's last two goals?

I think it's pretty obvious why and you know it too. Why try put down another Albion fan in such a positive mood?

That said, I personally don't think it will make any difference. If we had got one more it might have. As it stands, I don't think we'll be able to make up the goal difference any more. I can't see us putting a load past Derby.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I think it's pretty obvious why and you know it too. Why try put down another Albion fan in such a positive mood?

That said, I personally don't think it will make any difference. If we had got one more it might have. As it stands, I don't think we'll be able to make up the goal difference any more. I can't see us putting a load past Derby.

possibly but every goal we put past boro counts double

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's pretty obvious why and you know it too

No, I don't. Why is it that Hemed's penalty v Charlton is so crucial? More so than, say, Sidwell's that actually earned us points and has a clear link to our league standings. Take Hemed's penalty away and we're 3 behind Burnley on goal difference, still level on points, still have promotion in our own hands. Take Sidwell's forest goal away, and we're three points behind, and could win our last two games and still not go up.

If we go up based on goal difference, or even goals scored, why is that penalty the key goal? It isn't even the one that has swung GD or GS in our favour. If we're winning by three goals on Monday, and in the last minute we score a fourth, that puts our GD two ahead of Burnley, so that when they get their last minute winner in the following game, we're still ahead of them, won't that goal be the most important one (until the winner v Boro)?

Why try put down another Albion fan in such a positive mood?

Oh give over. It has nothing to do with putting anyone down. The OP asked a question about how crucial that goal is. My response is essentially 'why is it so noteworthy, in the context of our current standings, and why more important than other goals in the context of the season as a whole?' which is entering into the discussion the OP brought up.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No, I don't. Why is it that Hemed's penalty v Charlton is so crucial? More so than, say, Sidwell's that actually earned us points and has a clear link to our league standings. Take Hemed's penalty away and we're 3 behind Burnley on goal difference, still level on points, still have promotion in our own hands. Take Sidwell's forest goal away, and we're three points behind, and could win our last two games and still not go up.

If we go up based on goal difference, or even goals scored, why is that penalty the key goal? It isn't even the one that has swung GD or GS in our favour. If we're winning by three goals on Monday, and in the last minute we score a fourth, that puts our GD two ahead of Burnley, so that when they get their last minute winner in the following game, we're still ahead of them, won't that goal be the most important one (until the winner v Boro)?

Oh give over. It has nothing to do with putting anyone down. The OP asked a question about how crucial that goal is. My response is essentially 'why is it so noteworthy, in the context of our current standings, and why more important than other goals in the context of the season as a whole?' which is entering into the discussion the OP brought up.

1. He never said it was the most important goal.
2. He never said it was more crucial than other goals.
3. You've admitted to the potential importance of GD.
4. It was an injury time goal that boosted our GD and may give our players extra motivation to push on and get more goals in other games if required and/or it is appropriate to do so in whatever situation we find ourselves in. It might be a goal that means we don't need an additional goal in one of the potential situations we could find ourselves in. It is in the third last game of the season, when we've already scored a load of crucial goals previously to put us in a fantastic position where that extra goal might count, and it was scored right at the end. It's obvious why the OP thinks it might be crucial in this particular context.
5. Good day to you sir. :salute:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1. He never said it was the most important goal.
2. He never said it was more crucial than other goals.

He asked how crucial it is, with an implication that it is crucial, it's just a question of degrees.

3. You've admitted to the potential importance of GD.

Yes, I've also pointed out that this goal hasn't swung anything in our favour with regard to GD (still behind) or GS (already ahead).

As seasons draw to an end people look at that final day win as the difference between finishing positions, as if it means more than any previous. Which is obviously not true, but as their the last ones to be added to the column, more importance is put on them. The points that clinch the title are considered the one in that last match, not any of the previous wins.

Transplant that to goals scored, then it's the goal that swings GD/GS in our favour that is important.

4. It was an injury time goal that boosted our GD and may give our players extra motivation to push on and get more goals in other games if required and/or it is appropriate to do so in whatever situation we find ourselves in. It might be a goal that means we don't need an additional goal in one of the potential situations we could find ourselves in. It is in the third last game of the season, when we've already scored a load of crucial goals previously to put us in a fantastic position where that extra goal might count, and it was scored right at the end. It's obvious why the OP thinks it might be crucial in this particular context.

But win our next two games and goal difference is irrelevant, we're going up. Do you think any of our players would give up on promotion if we didn't score the third? Do you think they will settle for one goal victory v derby or boro simply because they didn't manage a third v Charlton? I don't think so.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He asked how crucial it is, with an implication that it is crucial, it's just a question of degrees.

Yes, I've also pointed out that this goal hasn't swung anything in our favour with regard to GD (still behind) or GS (already ahead).

As seasons draw to an end people look at that final day win as the difference between finishing positions, as if it means more than any previous. Which is obviously not true, but as their the last ones to be added to the column, more importance is put on them. The points that clinch the title are considered the one in that last match, not any of the previous wins.

Transplant that to goals scored, then it's the goal that swings GD/GS in our favour that is important.

But win our next two games and goal difference is irrelevant, we're going up. Do you think any of our players would give up on promotion if we didn't score the third? Do you think they will settle for one goal victory v derby or boro simply because they didn't manage a third v Charlton? I don't think so.

Good grief. I'm not even going to reply to that. Life's too short.

I'm confident. This is our year. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here