Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf and the Olympics

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I see now Oosthuizen has joined Singh and Scott in confirming he will not compete at the Olympics with more expected to follow. What an absolute joke, who was the plum who voted golf into the Olympics?? Don't see any of these players rejecting the Masters or the Open. The only thing that can save this shambles now is if Woods can get fit for the tournament.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I see now Oosthuizen has joined Singh and Scott in confirming he will not compete at the Olympics with more expected to follow. What an absolute joke, who was the plum who voted golf into the Olympics?? Don't see any of these players rejecting the Masters or the Open. The only thing that can save this shambles now is if Woods can get fit for the tournament.

Should be for amateur golfers, not pros. And certainly not Woods.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It always seemed a weird choice.

they were saying on the radio that they should have tried to give it a unique twist such as a mixed doubles tournament or something similar.

It is utter madness that they voted it in without checking there would be an appetite for it from the players. If half of them aren't interested then why should the spectators?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Absolute joke. A gold medal should be for sports where that medal is the pinnacle for them, not an inconvenience in between established majors. Still feel gutted for Squash, for a truly multinational sport, it would have meant everything, and like the Commonwealth Games would have been a TV highlight.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Major professional sports including Golf, Tennis Football etc who all have their own major competitions shouldn't be in the Olympics - it should be the show case of sports who are not normally in the limelight

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Absolute joke. A gold medal should be for sports where that medal is the pinnacle for them, not an inconvenience in between established majors. .

I agree in principle, but that criteria would rule out a lot of established sports.

Golf - they'd rather win the Open
Tennis - they'd rather win Wimbledon
Sailing - America's Cup WAY bigger
Eventing - Badminton, Burghley, etc WAY bigger - the Olympic 3DE is at CCI two star level (the big events are 4 star), so that the weaker nations have horse / riders who can qualify
Football - obviously
Road Cycling - TdF about 1000x more important to them
Basketball - a few Hungarians might like it, but its no NBA
Boxing - pfft

You're left with athletics, swimming and archery

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I agree in principle, but that criteria would rule out a lot of established sports.

Golf - they'd rather win the Open - agreed should not be in.
Tennis - they'd rather win Wimbledon - agreed it should not be in
Sailing - America's Cup WAY bigger - disagree. America's cup is completely different. That is like comparing formula one with rally driving because they are both in cars.
Eventing - Badminton, Burghley, etc WAY bigger - the Olympic 3DE is at CCI two star level (the big events are 4 star), so that the weaker nations have horse / riders who can qualify - while the competitors may be on average weaker the top ones are still there. I would be amazed if eventing bods would not rather win Olympic gold than one of these annual events that only horsey folk care about.
Football - obviously - agreed. Crazy it is in.
Road Cycling - TdF about 1000x more important to them - to an extent but people who win road race would never win the tour. Time trial? Yes tour Winners win but not the road race where you need to be a sprinter. It is more like winning one stage of the tour isn't it?
Basketball - a few Hungarians might like it, but its no NBA - agreed. Silly. But I had a belting night at the basketball in 2012.
Boxing - pfft - completely disagree. This is the peak of amateur boxing. Letting in pros would ruin it.

You're left with athletics, swimming and archery

I have disagreed with many of these above.

I would add squash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here