Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mentally preparing for the playoffs

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Why? Truth hurts? What part of my post isn't true? And do they really hate us? It's not arrogance or over confidence,it's just the truth, we are the form team in the division, and, therefore we shouldn't be scared of any of the teams we have yet to play. Do you think Hughton is telling our players they aren't as good as the other teams, that we are lucky to be where we are? Terry Phelan got slagged on here for under rating us, so, I imagine a lot of our support agrees with me

#keep the faith

It is arrogance mate. We are a very decent championship side. But to proclaim we have the best of everything isn't true and will make us looking very silly if things do not pan out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're clearly a glass half empty sort of guy!?
In life generally, no, I'm glass overflowing, but when it comes to BHA (and same applies to England), I tend to be very cautious.

Possible but unlikely surely unless we completely implode.....!
We could lose to Derby and Middlesbrough and I wouldn't call that imploding, it's only two games. Losses do happen, even to good teams.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am prepared for them because even now its still far more likely we will finish 3rd than anything else.

I am sure the players are far more confident than me of securing a top 2 spot :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
IF it all ends up as it is now Brighton Play Sheff Weds on the 13th and 16th? 13th away.... FRIDAY THE 13th that is. Anyone booking hotels just in case?

I'd rather play Liverpool on 6th August. Don't want to think about that at the moment, plenty of time to plan should imminent results not go our way.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I am truly glad that the players, and management at the club don't share your cheese eating,surrender monkey attitude.
Did Churchill give in when the Hun were knocking at the door? No, he beat them, and went on to form a huge insurance company!
Did Wellington roll over to have his tummy tickled by Napolean? No, he kicked Bonys arse all the way to St. Helena, with the Wellington boots he invented.

C'mon Brighton fans, be proud, we are going up automatically, it's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees!
Etc, etc,etc

#keep the faith

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
This weekend is it.These are the games for Boro and Burnley in which there's the best chance of them dropping points.
If they don't then it's play-offs for us even if we win.Even a Burnley draw isn't a disaster for them.
If they then win their last two games and Brighton win their next two we will go into the Boro game probably
needing a win otherwise we could go out on goal difference.
Need a win and plenty of goals against Charlton.

That Burnley equalizer at the Amex was a killer.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Blimey.

Why waste mental energy preparing for the playoffs ? They are 3 weeks away, plenty of time to do that later if necessary.

All that needs focus on is our game v Charlton, and as a break we can also all be Preston fans tonight.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We will be more mentally prepared than boro or burnley would be for the play offs. They've been expecting top 2 longer than us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larus

We will win our next three games, because we are playing the best football in this division. We have the best manager who has done it before, we are playing the best football at the moment that we have played in an already,stand out season. In our last 11 games we have been,overall the better team,in all those games, except perhaps Forest away. We score goals throughout the team, and have two stunningly good young cbs,and arguably the best goalkeeper, as well as Bruno,and Liam Rosenior as fullback, who both have a mountain of experience in pressure situations. We have the best midfield combo in the division, and, wingers all very good, but a little bit different from each other so, pose more problems for opposing defenders.
The only department we are inferior to any other team is in attack,but, given the service our forwards now get, and the aforementioned goals throughout the team, this is not so crucial as it was.
Our bench is as strong,if not stronger than any of our rivals, with class players in every position, and the best team spirit I have witnessed in over 45 years of watching the Albion.

These are the reasons we will go up automatically,3 straight wins.

#keep the faith

Yeah, but apart from that, what has Bloom ever done for the club...:wink:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
If we have to go through the playoffs I would feel a lot better about our chances this time around. Gus took his eye off the ball during the first playoff. Oscar worked miracles simply to get us there but it was always going to be a stretch taking on Derby at that time. Now we have Hughton. The calmest, most modest, tactically flexible and just so damned reassuring manager I can recall at the Albion.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That Burnley equalizer at the Amex was a killer.

:angry:

Why is it always this goal that everyone reels off as being 'the killer'? Especially as it was considered by most to be scored legitimately, and after they had already had a good goal disallowed. It's not nice to concede late but it was always coming from set pieces, the fact we didn't kill it given some good chances to do so and the fact that inept **** pawson officated are far bigger things to dwell on re. that game.

Why not the sending off at bolton or the equaliser in what felt like the 137th minute, or the atrocious penalty decisions at turf moor and pride park?

Or dunks miscontrol, or goldson's OG, or the exasperation of a Cardiff side that didn't even play well to stick 4 past us, or our injuries over christmas.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
:angry:

Why is it always this goal that everyone reels off as being 'the killer'? Especially as it was considered by most to be scored legitimately, and after they had already had a good goal disallowed. It's not nice to concede late but it was always coming from set pieces, the fact we didn't kill it given some good chances to do so and the fact that inept **** pawson officated are far bigger things to dwell on re. that game.

Why not the sending off at bolton or the equaliser in what felt like the 137th minute, or the atrocious penalty decisions at turf moor and pride park?

Or dunks miscontrol, or goldson's OG, or the exasperation of a Cardiff side that didn't even play well to stick 4 past us, or our injuries over christmas.

Cos 'that was the killer' sounds better than 'they were the killers'.

Don't so over analyze things.

The Burnley goal was the killer because it was against one of our two main promotion rivals,it was within the last few games of the season during a very critical game,plus
it was in the last minute.In my book that makes it THE killer.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It is arrogance mate. We are a very decent championship side. But to proclaim we have the best of everything isn't true and will make us looking very silly if things do not pan out.

In my original post I claimed we had the best manager, the best midfield pair, and that we are playing the best football,in the division at the moment, and the best football of our season.
I stand by all this.If you include our pre-season and mid season recruitment, our Lazarus like revival from 20th last season to at least 3rd this season, spending less on our whole squad, than our two rivals have spent on one player each,universal respect across the whole of English football,and his behaviour when engaging with the media,on all subjects, including the very emotive period of the Shoreham Air crash, I don't think anyone comes close to Chris Hughton.
We have played some absolutely brilliant football over the last eleven games, tell me a team that has played better?
I wouldn't swop Kayal and Stephens AS A PAIR, over any other midfield pair, hence I consider them the best.
This may appear to be arrogance, I just call it realism, we have hidden our light under a bushel for too long, it's time we got rid of the inferiority complex that has always hung over us, and admitted that we are in with a very good chance, on current form of winning three more games on the trot

#keep the faith

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
However things pan out from here on in, it's been a tremendous season. The players have done us proud. And they seem WELL fired up, unlike Boro and Burnley with their nervy late goals. The team spirit is fierce and that will take us a very long way for the remainder of the season. Would be gutted if we didn't go up now, by one route or another, because we deserve it on merit.
Mr Hark, I exactly echo your sentiments...I've not had as much pleasure (supporting for 65 years now) and nail-biting excitement from watching a Brighton team brimming over with so much effort.... please let it be automatics, failing that.... winning at Wembley... failing that, looking forward to the 16/17 season... its been bloody wonderful

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here