Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance renewal quotes - why do they overprice so much?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Genuine question: why does every(?) insurer overprice on renewal so much? Case in point:renewal quote received £554; Meerkat & opera site: £358 & £362.

Every bloody year.

EDIT: Oh, and the renewal quote had a voluntary excess of £250; the new ones have zero. Otherwise identical details.

I get that they're hoping that people won't shop around, but the price differential is staggering.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Got quoted last year by my then current insurers for the upgrade in car and it was something like £1200, looked at a few others and Aviva were £480 for exactly the same product... guess what.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Saw a home renewal quote at my Mums house and said I could get it down for her. "No that's OK" she said "I like to stay with people I know". One quick internet quote got it from over £300 to under £100 with the same company.
I know for a fact that my Brother-in-law, who is single and has a few quid, just auto renews everything.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Genuine question: why does every(?) insurer overprice on renewal so much? Case in point:renewal quote received £554; Meerkat & opera site: £358 & £362.

Every bloody year.

EDIT: Oh, and the renewal quote had a voluntary excess of £250; the new ones have zero. Otherwise identical details.

I get that they're hoping that people won't shop around, but the price differential is staggering.

When I renewed last year, they wanted 33% more. I said that I was prepared to pay 5% more, and offered them the business. The chap said that the price is what the computer said and he could not budge. When I questioned him as to the stupidity of refusing business, reluctantly he agreed. Obviously, they must gain from low prices for newcomers and those not bothered about shopping around. It just leaves a bitter taste when I was trying to stay with them. I am sure that they all must be guilty of this??

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just a simple numbers game. Even a small proportion of auto renewals will justify the price hike. I've had to take all insurances etc off my parents as they always 'liked to stay with who they knew'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For the first time EVER my auto renewal quote was the best I could actually get. I suspect my record has been marked as every year I've rung them up to get a better price and succeeded.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
My wife's car insurance is with Esure and for 2 renewals in a row we could not beat the renewal price on any comparison site or the direct one's. This has left us totally confused, there must be something wrong in the world.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The insurance companies know they have two types of customers:

1. Cash rich and time poor
2. Cash poor and time rich.

They rely on group 1 just auto renewing every year and not doing any digging around, but know group 2 will be on their case to try and get the best deal they can, but knowing if they can get somewhere in the ballpark of "best offer" people will generally stay to reduce the hassle.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My wife's car insurance is with Esure and for 2 renewals in a row we could not beat the renewal price on any comparison site or the direct one's. This has left us totally confused, there must be something wrong in the world.

Confused.com

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here